Skip to main content

The return to Sharpes Cemetery

Photo by: Tim Bindner
Photo by: Tim Bindner

This week was rough. I had to get out to the woods and hike. I did, and the views were wonderful. However, I have a question for you.

I arrived at O’Bannon Woods State Park around 8am. I noticed one truck in the parking lot, but it seemed like someone had parked it there overnight. Parking my car, grabbed my gear and made my way towards the trail. The cool 48-degree air electrified my senses as I crossed the locked gate and headed down the horse trail. The gravel and loose leaves beneath my feet made the first part of the journey sketchy, but soon I found my rhythm.

I made my way past the campground and the campfire smoke filled my nose. I saw the beams of sunrays kissing the tops of the trees as I descended further into the woods. Soon I could no longer hear any sounds or smell the campfire smoke. A dog was barking in the distance as I began, and that also faded. I was alone.

My destination was Sharpes Cemetery. A small place deep in the woods close to this horse trail. I have been there a few times before, but today was different. I was on a journey of peace. My need was to relax and slow down my anxiety.

A half of a mile from my car, I passed the intersecting self-guided wilderness trail. I always laughed at that. I have never seen speakers in the woods or even street signs to guide you along the path. This is where things changed.

The deeper I got into the woods; the fog developed. Light at first, but then got thicker as I continued. All the sounds, including my brain, became muffled. I began photographing my surroundings as I continued to walk. I knew the cemetery was only another half a mile in, but I took my time and enjoyed the views God was providing me with this morning. An occasional squirrel would dart across my path or shuffle the leaves in the forest. This would snap me back to reality.

I reached the fork where the left path took me to the cemetery. I took the photograph above. Let me ask you. If you were alone, and miles away from people. Would you travel down that path to the right of the cemetery sign?

I followed the freshly trimmed path toward the cemetery. My favorite bird flew above me and made a familiar caw. Before I even looked up, I knew there was a crow overhead. Many people believe crows are an omen of death because they associate them with dead bodies, battlefields, and cemeteries. They think crows circle in large numbers of places where animals or people are expecting to die soon. Today I only saw one crow but heard a few others in the distance. Imagine this. Walking to a cemetery, surrounded by forests and fog, hearing the call of crows, and being all alone. I cannot tell you how many horror movies I have seen that have this same plot. I, however, was at pure peace.

I reached the cemetery and noticed a drastic change from the last time I was here. I noticed that someone had repaired the headstones. Walking around a while and I even stood there in silence. I grabbed my phone to text Marcie a picture. NO CELL SERVICE. I was alone and disconnected. I stayed for about fifteen more minutes, then I headed back to the horse trail.

Upon reaching the intersection in the picture above; I said to myself; I wonder what is down there. Hesitating for a moment, then saying out loud an inadequate phrase that started with an ‘F’. ‘xxxx it’, I muttered and down that dark path I went. I was curious. Not scared. I wanted to know what was down this path before me. The fog was thick. Every noise seemed both amplified and muffled at the same time. My visibility was maybe 15 feet tops in all directions. Less amongst the trees. The air had a bite to it. I got chills and goosebumps.

I walked for another half mile as the road continued to descend. I reached a point where I knew I would have to return, so I stopped. Turned around and headed back, now uphill. Not long and I was again by the cemetery path.

I headed uphill, back toward my car. The sun rose higher, burning away most of the fog. It flooded the treetops with rays of sunshine casting shadows below. The coolness of the air was more welcoming now as my body heated climbing the hill. My senses were tingling as I stopped to take a break and drink water. I felt as if I was being watched. Slowly turning to my left, nothing. Behind me, nothing. To my right in the woods, a female deer staring at me. She stood frozen like a statue. I know she was thinking if I don’t move, he will not see me. I raised my camera slowly, snapped a picture, took a few steps, and snapped another. Reassuring her, I said, “It’s okay, baby. Stay on this side of the path as there is no hunting allowed over there.” I continued up the hill, locking eyes with her as she stayed frozen, and eventually she won our staring contest, as I had to concentrate on my footing.

Walking three miles today and took some moody pictures. There was a deer and a wonderful cemetery, and I enjoyed the fog and exploring. This hike helped me relax for a while and calmed my over stimulated brain. I plan to go back soon to see where that trail goes. I hope I am lucky to experience fog again. Soon it will be hunting season, so this will be something I will try next weekend or after the hunting concludes.

So how did you answer my question above?

Links:

Sharpes Cemetery – https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2173899/sharpes-cemetery 

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim