Skip to main content

2 versions

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today I looked at one of my previous photographs and it inspired me to edit the original composition differently. As you know, I love black and white, but I took this one is in color. It turns out to be of my favorite shots I have ever taken. Dr. Erin even purchased this one (the original version), and it is hanging in her office.

I took the shot at Mount Saint Francis at 8:40am on Thursday, November 24, 2022. Little did I know what the day had in store for me. They admitted me to the hospital for a heart attack that occurred during or after taking this memorable picture. For me, the picture stands alone from the memories I will have of what happened later and this shot does not remind me of that ill-fated day. More of the moment I captured it. When I took this photograph, I felt I captured something more spiritual. More ethereal. Certainly, more natural.

What caught my eye was the fog coming through the trees and the rays of sun illuminating the bench below. I didn’t really edit the original picture much, other than a bit of cropping and slight exposure adjustments.

For me, I overwhelmingly prefer the darker version. One aspect that many will not see until now (since I pointed it out) is the lightly kissed leaves in the middle of the frame and to the right in the darkness. Faint hints of red or orange are reflecting the sun and providing an air of mystery. This is less noticed in the lighter version due to so much more being exposed or revealed. In my edit I feel there is a bit of mood, mystery, and emotion. The darker edit tells a story, unlike the original.

The original is a shot that is amongst many that rotates as my wallpaper on my work computer throughout the day. Today the lighter version caught my eye, and it inspired me to edit it as I have done in the picture above.

My first shot seen below is brighter. It displays more of the scene surrounding the primary subject. It is not until almost a year later that I understand what I was trying to capture and display to whoever views this photograph.

Photo by: Tim Bindner

I have shared this photo, and the original, with a few people already and some like the darker version, others like the lighter version. What are your thoughts on either of them?

One friend Tricia stated, “I love the way the light provides a spotlight on that empty bench. That is telling a story. Words fall short on how to describe the feeling this gives. This is absolutely gorgeous!

Another friend Wes stated, “Funny how the ‘mood’ of these feels really different – the lighter one feels hopeful and promising (sun coming up, “It’s gonna be a good day” kind of thing..). The darker one feels more somber and flat, almost like the sun is going down.. Missed opportunity, maybe next time kinda feeling.. Nice work!!

Finally, Tracy from my work said, “My first thought is this is the place someone goes when they don’t want to talk, don’t want to deal with expectations or work or house cleaning. Nice a secluded. This is where breathing is easy… Then I remembered it is in the woods and I wondered about mosquitos lol. I love being around people but my alone time is important. Have a wonderful day Tim! I appreciate your art!

What is the story of this picture? Well, I have my version, and I hope any viewer has their own. My story is not to share, however. I think my critique and explanation may cloud or sway anyone else’s interpretation of this shot. If you have a story for this, please reach out and share it with me. I’d love to hear it. That applies to any of my photos.

Please take a few moments to stop whatever you are doing and really look at these photos. Don’t quickly scan it like Instagram, swipe like you do on a phone, or aimlessly turn pages in a magazine. 30 seconds is all I ask to really ‘look’ at these photographs I poured my heart into.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim