Skip to main content

Lake Michigan

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Last weekend Marcie and I went to northern Indiana and southern Michigan. It was a quick trip, but we got to see one of my favorite places and relaxed a bit.

From our home, the trip took roughly 4.5 hours. A straight shot up I-65 through Indianapolis and eventually into Michigan City, Indiana.

Driving through the farmlands of Indiana can bore too many, but for me, it is peaceful. I have always found a calmness in looking out over rows of corn, old farm homes and red barns. Heck, I drove through Seymour, Indiana, home of Live Aid founder John Mellencamp.

Friday afternoon, we arrived at our motel, dropped off our stuff, and headed out to our first destination. Washington Park Beach and Michigan City East Pierhead Lighthouse draw many people throughout the summer. Today it had some people milling around, but it was not very crowded.

As we parked and unloaded, we could see and hear the gulls flying around, kids yelling and laughing, and see the lighthouse in the distance. Crossing the parking lot, we made our way down the long sidewalk toward the pier that led to the lighthouse. I have been here in the past where certain death was imminent, walking on this pier because of the waves, but today all was clear.

As we reached the pier, we had a deep canal to our left and the long concrete pier to our right. Many boats were slowly making their way through the no wake zone and out into the deep waters of Lake Michigan. The sun provided the perfect backdrop for me to capture a few shots and we moved closer to the lighthouse.

Upon reaching the lighthouse, we walked up the steps, around the structure and then returned and walked back towards the beach. I made a few shots while Marcie took a few with her phone. At the beach, Marcie took her shoes off and we headed toward the water’s edge. As usual, Marcie had to touch the water and a familiar sound followed. “It’s cold.” After researching it, I discovered the water temperature was in the mid to upper 60’s and that is on the surface. It did not, however, stop many kids from swimming.

Eventually we found a picnic table and sat there for a while, watching people and gulls and the many ships before heading to eat and back to the motel to rest.

The next morning, my goal was to drive Marcie to South Haven, Michigan. The motel was a mile from the border and South Haven was less than an hour away. We took I96 to South Haven and returned on the Blue Star Highway.

South Haven is a small little town with many shops, restaurants and a large pier, lighthouse, and marina. This place has a population of 4000, but it becomes more populated in summer because of tourists coming from Chicago and nearby regions. We spent our time walking in and out of shops. Marcie touched most of the items but only bought food, candy, and snacks. There was a small farmers’ market there as well that we went to twice. Our take from the farmers’ market comprised two apples (Fuji and Honey Crisp), caramel popcorn, Paul’s Gourmet Jerky, and two pumpkin rolls.

We had lunch in town as well at the Black River Tavern, where Marcie had a salad, and I had a perch sandwich. After lunch, we made our way down to the pier and out to the lighthouse. I shot anglers, sailboats, and kids on the beach and in the water. After 4 or 5 hours, we headed back toward our motel and stopped at my favorite lighthouse in the area.

Arriving at Tiscornia Park, Marcie had to use the restroom. I walked up on a dune and shot the St. Joseph North Pier Inner Lighthouse. This is my favorite one in the area. Like the Michigan City East Pier Lighthouse, the layout is the same. A deep canal on one side and the lake and beach on the other. The difference is there is a large dune and grass growing in this area.

Marcie finished. We paid for the parking meter and walked down to the pier. Like before, we strolled toward the lighthouse while admiring the sailboats and other vessels. To the right of us, there were kids splashing in the water, and people on the beach sunbathing. I took almost all black and white photos this trip, but the umbrella above I had to show in color.

As we reached the lighthouse, we saw two jet skis racing up and down. One was catching waves and leaping high in the air. I could capture him ‘getting air’. The fresh air, the breezes, the kids laughing were very calming to me. The temperature was in the mid 70’s and I was comfortable.

Marcie and I continued back along the boardwalk, past the parking lot and to the other end of the pier before returning to the car and heading back to Michigan City. We ate dinner and relaxed after 12,000 steps and plenty of fresh air.

The next day, we returned home, and I went through the pictures with brief memories in my mind. When my memories fade, I hope the blog and pictures will remind me of the good times with my wife.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim