Skip to main content

Cleveland, Ohio

Photo by: Tim Bindner

My wife recently started a new job with a new company after 17 years at Humana. Her second week at the company, her boss had an in-person meeting, which she likes to do twice a year. Marcie’s boss was in Cleveland, Ohio, so I took a few days off, drive her to Cleveland and spent my free time shooting a place I had never been too.

We arrived Tuesday afternoon, unloaded at our hotel, relaxed for a short bit after a 5.5-hour drive, and then I drove Marcie to her first location. A bar/restaurant called Collision Bend Brewing Company, in the “flats” of downtown Cleveland. Per advice from her boss and a friend that I planned to meet the next day “it is not a good idea to walk around that area”, so I stayed in a parking lot next to the bar.

The temperature was a refreshing 65 degrees. The warmth of the sun and gentle breeze were enjoyable, but it met me with complete silence when I turned to my left. I grabbed my camera, hopped out of my car, and began shooting. This thing was massive, yet silent. It dumbfounded me on how it fit in this small ‘river’.

After this massive ship left the area, I began seeing a few team row boats follow the direction of the ship, then later return. A guide boat was calling signals to the rowers, and the sounds of seagulls filled the remaining airwaves. I then took a few more shots, and I returned to my car again for some downtime.

It startled me when a horn sounded, and another 700-foot ship called the Manitowoc was going the other direction (from Lake Erie up the ‘river’). I again hopped out of my car and began shooting. This massive ship somehow made a turn (no help from any other boats) and then I noticed a two-person kayak super close to the back of this boat. See above. My mouth was open when I took this shot. I can happily say no-one was hurt, but man what a shot and it really shows the size of that ship.

Wednesday morning Marcie had to be at the office at 10am. I dropped her off and headed to 325 West Superior Avenue to meet someone I met on Instagram. Gerald was an acquaintance who I had never met in person. After today, Gerald is a friend. I got there early and parked in this deep, dark parking lot of Tower City. I then took an old elevator to the main street and called Gerald. He was running late, so I began walking around. A block away, a couple was outside talking when the guys said, “where are you from?” My backpack and the camera around my neck must have been a dead giveaway. I spoke to them for a minute and the woman commented on my old camera and how she loves film and developed film back in high school. I said thanks and acknowledged her. Although I had a digital camera released in March 2016, I didn’t have the heart to tell her, as she seemed so fond of film photography. I asked either of them if they knew where I could get a Cleveland Indians hat. See, the Indians changed their name to the Guardians a few years back because of political pressure. I loved the old logo and the name. The woman started mentioning places that I “might” be able to find one when the guy said, “hold on a second” and went into a building. A few minutes later, he returned with a brand-new Indians hat. He said, “welcome to Cleveland”. He refused payment other than a handshake.

Soon, Gerald met me on the street, and we began walking. Remember, I have never met him before, only talked on the phone once. Immediately we bonded. We spent the next few hours walking, talking about cameras, talking about ‘his’ city, his life, my life, and anything else we could.

He shot, I shot, and he even borrowed one of my lenses. He said, “that is small, and I really don’t like that focal length or the size.” After a test shot or two, his opinion changed. Sounds of “wow this is amazing” led to him shooting the rest of our time together with that little lens. I shot with my favorite lens, and he shot with my second favorite lens.

I covered 18,000 steps that day. I got to see parts of the city I would likely not have ever seen without Gerald. We went down allies, up and down various streets, and even back to the place I was the day before. Great conversation, wonderful pictures and, as mentioned, a new friend.

As we parted, I strolled back to the Tower, got on the old-time elevator, and headed to ‘P1’ also known as the basement. I drove out, paid, and headed back to the hotel. I relished my time with Gerald and the opportunity to just walk around an area I didn’t know. I am a nature photographer mainly, but it was nice to shoot streets and buildings that outdated anything in Louisville, Kentucky. The city surprised me. It was unique, but quite enjoyable.

My legs were tired, but the time spent was very relaxing. I am glad I went, glad I got to meet Gerald in person, and experience a photography walk in a new place. I will leave you with this quote “It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy that makes happiness”–By Charles Spurgeon. Today I was happy.

Links to things I referenced above:

Herbert C. Jackson ship – http://www.interlake-steamship.com/our-fleet/m-v-herbert-c.-jackson/

Manitowoc ship – https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/7366398

Gerald Mills – www.instagram.com/decadent_lie or www.geraldmills.com

Tower City Center – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_City_Center

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim