Skip to main content

My "why"



Photo by: Tim Bindner

What is my why?

Google states your “Why” is a statement of purpose that describes why you do the work you do and why you live the lifestyle you do. It is your calling. It is your conviction. I have been thinking about the “Why” of my life. Just as much as happiness is something that’s unique for every single person, the “Why” differs from person to person.

My friend Wes said, “God has created you with gifts, abilities, experience, and personality to impact the world… no other person has the combination of these things — just you!! Use who God has created you to be with your strengths and gifts; use your story to shine a light on Him.” He then added, “The same God who created all those mountains you like snapping. He made you too. No wonder you like nature, you have the same Creator. Common bond.”

At age 55, I sometimes am still trying to figure out my purpose in life. Defining my “Why” is part of that journey. I have a good job that I like, but that does not define me. It is not my so called ‘calling’, but I work, work hard, and leave work when I log off. My focus is on my “Why” in life outside of work. I know the things that make me happy, but is there a purpose to them in my life? Are they why I live? Are they why God put me on this earth?

Another friend, Troy, stated when told of this question I was asking myself, “That sounds like something we all do. You’re just brave enough to ask the question.”

Back in 2019, I wrote a blog about my legacy. I will link to that story below. Please take the time to read it.

Many of the questions I had then, I still have now. Since I wrote that, I have survived the Covid-19 pandemic, a heart attack, the passing of my mother, my son moving out of the house, a stomach cancer scare and a 50lb weight loss. My mental health journey has vastly improved, but still not great.

So, what is my why? I must start with my wife and son. For Marcie, I do everything I can to make her happy. Support her as best I can and support her emotionally when I am not battling my own internal demons. I try to be a good husband, but don’t feel I am always successful at that.

My son is a similar story. I still try to provide for him, but with him being on his own, I rarely see or hear from him unless he needs something from me. I have not been a good father to him, but I try to do my best to be there for him. I hope he absorbed some of the things I tried to teach him.

I feel my why truly comes from two things. My photography and my writing. These are the only true things I can control and are uniquely my own.

As I grow, learn, and practice photography, I am getting better at it. My psychologist has always tried to get me to say my work is great. I am not sure I will ever feel that way. I have, however, compromised and admitted SOME of my pictures are good. I strive to improve any time I shoot. The “why” of my photography is the fact that I will have some pictures to share later in life. I shoot only for myself and what I want, and a bonus is others enjoy them too. A few people have even purchased my prints. I don’t display my prints in galleries or sell them for high prices, but it’s an honor when people buy them for their home or office. My goal, when I go shoot, is to share the beauty I recognize in the world. That is “why” I do it.

My writing, like my photography, it is unique to me. I write about topics I want. I put my own thoughts and perspectives behind the topics. I bare my soul. I convey with complete honesty the points in each post. I have never admitted I am right or an expert on any subject, but I pour my heart out based on my honest opinion and experiences in my life.

Multiple people have either identified with the messages in my blogs, or even told me I never thought of that after reading one. Others have even told me I helped them understand someone who is like me by writing about my experience. Better yet, some have praised me for my vulnerability, honesty, and willingness to share. My “why” is this exercise. To navigate my brain and release my troubling thoughts in my journal or in my blog post. To help people as I try to help myself while navigating through my life.

I will not change the world. I will not cure cancer, star in a great movie, or save someone’s life. But if my photography and/or blog posts help one person or bring at least one person joy, then my “why” has been defined and fulfilled.

Link mentioned above:

Legacy Post – https://timothybme.com/legacy/

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...