Skip to main content

My "why"



Photo by: Tim Bindner

What is my why?

Google states your “Why” is a statement of purpose that describes why you do the work you do and why you live the lifestyle you do. It is your calling. It is your conviction. I have been thinking about the “Why” of my life. Just as much as happiness is something that’s unique for every single person, the “Why” differs from person to person.

My friend Wes said, “God has created you with gifts, abilities, experience, and personality to impact the world… no other person has the combination of these things — just you!! Use who God has created you to be with your strengths and gifts; use your story to shine a light on Him.” He then added, “The same God who created all those mountains you like snapping. He made you too. No wonder you like nature, you have the same Creator. Common bond.”

At age 55, I sometimes am still trying to figure out my purpose in life. Defining my “Why” is part of that journey. I have a good job that I like, but that does not define me. It is not my so called ‘calling’, but I work, work hard, and leave work when I log off. My focus is on my “Why” in life outside of work. I know the things that make me happy, but is there a purpose to them in my life? Are they why I live? Are they why God put me on this earth?

Another friend, Troy, stated when told of this question I was asking myself, “That sounds like something we all do. You’re just brave enough to ask the question.”

Back in 2019, I wrote a blog about my legacy. I will link to that story below. Please take the time to read it.

Many of the questions I had then, I still have now. Since I wrote that, I have survived the Covid-19 pandemic, a heart attack, the passing of my mother, my son moving out of the house, a stomach cancer scare and a 50lb weight loss. My mental health journey has vastly improved, but still not great.

So, what is my why? I must start with my wife and son. For Marcie, I do everything I can to make her happy. Support her as best I can and support her emotionally when I am not battling my own internal demons. I try to be a good husband, but don’t feel I am always successful at that.

My son is a similar story. I still try to provide for him, but with him being on his own, I rarely see or hear from him unless he needs something from me. I have not been a good father to him, but I try to do my best to be there for him. I hope he absorbed some of the things I tried to teach him.

I feel my why truly comes from two things. My photography and my writing. These are the only true things I can control and are uniquely my own.

As I grow, learn, and practice photography, I am getting better at it. My psychologist has always tried to get me to say my work is great. I am not sure I will ever feel that way. I have, however, compromised and admitted SOME of my pictures are good. I strive to improve any time I shoot. The “why” of my photography is the fact that I will have some pictures to share later in life. I shoot only for myself and what I want, and a bonus is others enjoy them too. A few people have even purchased my prints. I don’t display my prints in galleries or sell them for high prices, but it’s an honor when people buy them for their home or office. My goal, when I go shoot, is to share the beauty I recognize in the world. That is “why” I do it.

My writing, like my photography, it is unique to me. I write about topics I want. I put my own thoughts and perspectives behind the topics. I bare my soul. I convey with complete honesty the points in each post. I have never admitted I am right or an expert on any subject, but I pour my heart out based on my honest opinion and experiences in my life.

Multiple people have either identified with the messages in my blogs, or even told me I never thought of that after reading one. Others have even told me I helped them understand someone who is like me by writing about my experience. Better yet, some have praised me for my vulnerability, honesty, and willingness to share. My “why” is this exercise. To navigate my brain and release my troubling thoughts in my journal or in my blog post. To help people as I try to help myself while navigating through my life.

I will not change the world. I will not cure cancer, star in a great movie, or save someone’s life. But if my photography and/or blog posts help one person or bring at least one person joy, then my “why” has been defined and fulfilled.

Link mentioned above:

Legacy Post – https://timothybme.com/legacy/

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim