Skip to main content

Colorado 2023 - Day 4



Photo by: Tim Bindner

Day 4: June 16, 2023

Today we had a longer route planned. We were going to a popular destination and one recommended by a friend. The day didn’t turn out like we planned.

As had become routine, we got up, showered, dressed, and left early. North we headed towards our breakfast destination of Rooster Crows Café. Marcie and I both had two Early Bird Specials, then began our 2+ hour drive south toward The Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve.

We drove south on Highway 285 for about an hour, where we turned onto Highway 17. Highway 17 was a straight 2 lane road where we saw no cars for miles. The Collegiate mountains slowly got smaller in my rearview mirror. I drove through small towns named Moffat and Hooper. Then I turning east onto Line 6 North and finally northwest onto Highway 150 before reaching the entrance to the park.

$25 entrance fee was given after waiting 20 minutes in line and we drove to the visitor’s center to buy bug spray and look around. After leaving the center, we drove further down to the parking lot of the dunes. The parking lot was crammed full of people and as we got out of the car, I was attacked by mosquitos. Marcie attempted to spray me down as I kept walking to avoid the swarm.

We both walked a quick path to what looked like a beach, then Marcie hung a left and I decided this was enough for me and went back to the car. I was not impressed by the Great Sand Dunes. I have never been a fan of beaches or sand, and this was not all that interesting to me. Marcie eventually returned to the car, and we drove back to 150, where we went to look at a trail, while trying to swat mosquitoes and get them out of the car.

The parking lot was full for the trail, so we left the park and headed for Zapata Falls. Once we found the parking lot, we began what was described as “rugged” trail to the top. My knee and hip were hurting from the long drive, and I was struggling to catch my breath, so we turned and returned to the car and headed back ‘home’.

On our way back, we stopped to eat lunch in Salida. 50 Burger Shakes & Beer was an interesting place and quite busy as it was lunchtime. I got the Riverside and fries, Marcie got the kids’ cheeseburger and fries.

Feeling I ruined the day we returned to our ‘home’ and contemplated where to go next. This is where the day turned to the positive.

Driving back to Buena Vista north on 285, we merged onto Highway 24, then turned west onto Highway 306. This would blow both our minds when we reached our final destination.

Cottonwood Pass is 12,196 feet above sea level. At the start of our journey in Buena Vista, it was 65 degrees, and we were at 7,965 feet above sea level. 19.3 miles and 33 minutes later we were at 12,196 feet and 36 degrees and snow.

Highway 24 began in a flat area plateau with rocky and sandy soil. Some vegetation, but not a lot. As we headed east, we soon entered what I can only describe as the rainforest. Thick pine trees, aspen trees and light mist. Moving further, we soon were in between mountains and climbing higher. A light fog envelops the road and surrounding tees. The rain fell, and the road turned black and cold. The curves became more severe as we ascended, and eventually the light fog became thick. At points, I could see only 20 feet ahead of me. Oh, and that rain turned to sleet and then snow.

As mentioned, when we reached the top, it was cold. We felt obligated to get pictures at the sign, but our outside time/exposure was limited. The front of our car was covered in snow and even the sensors for collision and drive assist were not working because of being covered. I cleaned them off, hopped back in the car, and we headed back to Buena Vista.

I forgot to mention on the way up as well on the way down we passed a multitude of vehicles, many of which were motorcycles. Almost everyone we passed. I heard my copilot mumble “crazy”. Marcie even spotted one guy with a sweatshirt on. It was stretched beyond it’s original form because of being soaked with rain and snow. Most bikes had snow covered headlights and windshields, and I noticed helmet shields covered other than attempts of hand swipes to clear them off. The ones wearing waterproof gear were mostly dry, but I am sure still miserable.

As treacherous as the 20mph, 15mph and even 10mph curves were, the snow and slushy roads, and dense fog, not to mention the steep drop-offs, the drive and experience was wonderful. We both enjoyed it and stopped often for pictures or to let more aggressive drives pass.

We finished the day eating at House Rock Kitchen where I enjoyed a hot house smoke turkey sandwich and Marcie chowed down on a 3 cheese melt. A pleasant stroll for a few blocks helped burn some calories before we retreated to the Airbnb and planned our next day adventures.

Links below to the places I referenced above.

Until next time,

Tim

Rooster Crow Cafe – http://places.singleplatform.com/roosters-crow-cafe/menu?ref=google

Great Sand Dune National Park – https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

50 Burger Shakes & Beer – http://50burgersalida.com/#menu-section

Cottonwood Pass – https://www.uncovercolorado.com/scenic-drives/cottonwood-pass/

House Rock Kitchen – https://www.houserockkitchen.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim