Skip to main content

Country Roads

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today’s post is about an upcoming trip Marcie, and I are taking. We both need some time away to relax and spend time together. The last year has been rough for both of us, and though some may say we deserve this trip, I don’t feel we do. However, I feel we need it.

Marcie’s employment with Humana will end on June 26th unless she can find something before then. She has been posting internally and externally with only a few nibbles, but no bites. With our recent medical issues, compounded with me also almost losing my job. Also, all the medical bills, having to replace major appliances in our house, and many other things going on these past 12 months have been stressful for sure. I could find a new role within Humana, which helps slightly with my anxiety, but only partially.

Our goal is to fly into Denver, Colorado, rent a car and drive to a small town called Nathrop, Colorado, where we will stay at an Airbnb for one week. Each day, we will explore from our temporary home base, returning to our abode nestled between Mt. Princeton and Mt. Antero (see below).

With advice from friends, we have a list of locations we hope to visit and explore. These small trips may include but are not exclusive to locations such as Pikes Peak, Royal Gorge, Tincup, Buena Vista, Midland Tunnels, Leadville, and Fairplay. We plan to visit three ghost towns (Ashcroft, St. Elmo’s & Independence), Salida, Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area, Brown’s Canyon, Crested Butte, Gothic, Florissant, Marshall Pass, and the Mayflower Gulch Trail. Again, this is not an inclusive list, just ideal locations, but none we have ever been to but Denver.

I will be armed with my camera, logbook, water bottle, map, snacks, cell phone, canned oxygen, and, likely, bear spray in hand. Marcie and I will set out for daily exploration, with the goal of capturing and creating memories. To see landscape, we don’t have in Indiana. To visit locations, we may never see again. To feel the cool water of a mountain stream or dip our feet in an icy mountain lake. I look forward to the Rocky Mountain sunrises and sunsets. To the isolated paved 2-lane roads, and the less traveled dirt roads we will traverse. Exploring old cabins and buildings in ghost towns. We plan to visit the Arkansas River, eat at places that are not chain restaurants, and shop. Maybe we will zipline or ride horses, visit a farmers’ market, visit a working ranch, and I plan to log it all for future posts. I want to see cowgirls, cowboys, Indian reserve, possibly a rodeo, and shoot old wooden fences along dirt roads.

I hope to see bison, wild mustangs, moose, goats, long horn cows, eagles or other birds of prey, foxes, deer, elk, and if lucky, wolves, bears, and cougar. The last three of which I hope are from afar.

Some of these destinations above are tourist spots, others are not. We will be in nature, in the mountains and hopefully see plenty of wildlife. I hope most of our trip is just alone and not surrounded by people.

I will be your travel guide through this part of the states and provide my insight into what we saw and how I felt. Expectations are high and I know the mountains will not disappoint.

As John Denver once sang (I changed the lyrics) “Country roads, take me home. To the place I belong. West Virginia Colorado, mountain mama. Take me home, country roads.” I think Colorado is my unofficial home, and soon I shall return to her.

A friend asked if I ever wrote poetry. I am not sure I am talented enough to do so, but below is my attempt at a poem.

The Mountain

The mountain stands, a silent sentinel, Witness to all that passes by. Its face is scarred by time and weather, but still it stands, strong and proud.

The mountain is a place of peace and solitude, a place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. It is a place to breathe in the fresh air, and to listen to the sound of the wind in the trees.

The mountain is a place of beauty, With its snow-capped peaks and lush green valleys. It is a place to be inspired, and to dream of far-off places.

The mountain is a place of mystery, With its hidden caves and secret paths. It is a place to explore, and to discover new things.

The mountain is a place of wonder, a place that fills us with awe and amazement. It is a place to be grateful for, and to cherish always.

P.S. The picture at the top of this post is from our trip to Colorado in 2021.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim