Skip to main content

Update on Sam

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Friday evening, I got my test results. It was news I was unexpected to hear. I was in shock.

My recent EGD test on Wednesday morning was done at a local hospital because of my “recent heart attack” and once concluded, the doctor came in and said he saw something “that didn’t look good” and “whether it is cancerous or pre-cancerous will need to come out.” The issue again is with the recent heart attack, I may not be off blood thinners or risk “having another heart attack” or stay on the blood thinners and risk “bleeding out.”

So, Friday came around and Marcie and I were eating pizza at a restaurant when the phone rang. I picked it up. What was I going to hear? What were the next steps? Will I be yet another person with cancer?

Kim, the nurse, was on the other end. She verified I was who I was and then, without emotion, said. Dr. Obert said, “no cancer, no surgery. It was a swollen nodule on your esophagus. He said keep on the antacids and that should take care of it.” She told me he was going to order another test. There is ALWAYS another test. That the hospital will call me to schedule. Then she hung up.

I told my wife the news while my brain processed what I heard. This was not an option I even considered. He told me “It will need to come out” and yet now medicine SHOULD take care of it. I was relieved, but still unprepared for that result.

We finished our meal in silence, paid, boxed up the leftovers, and left. In the car, I began calling people who had shown concern for my recent medical issues. I called Shawn, then Mark, then text Al, then Lori, then my cousin, sister, Troy, Sister Rose, Tesa, Josslyn, Amanda, Phil, and neighbors who wanted to know. I received positive feedback from everyone, but a few stuck out to me. One person said I have a 2nd chance at life. I never saw this as a life-threatening issue, but the past few days have again helped me take stock of my life. The one that got to me the most was when my friend, a doctor, text me. He was nervous. That text caused me to pause. This might have been more serious than I expected if the diagnosis for the 3 biopsies was cancer. But thankfully it was not.

I slept well Friday night and rose early to go on a hike with Mark. The air was sweeter (yet cold); the sun shined brightly, and I was in nature. The prayers that people sent worked. I thanked God that day, the next and even this morning as I am writing this. I am blessed.

I hope this run of bad luck is over. I hope my health is improving (I have lost 40 lbs by the way); I hope Marcie and I find new jobs, and that this mountain of medical bills dries up. I have a brief vacation coming up in May and a bigger one in June. I so look forward to these and hope I have a chance to truly relax.

Until next time.

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim