Skip to main content

The Working Hour

Photo by: Tim Bindner

I recently listened to an old favorite song of mine called THE WORKING HOUR by Tears for Fears. This time around, the lyrics hit a chord with me and I wrote a blog about it.

Considering the psycho-analytic theme from their album Songs from the Big Chair, the song has a personal meaning for me. Anyone that has taken part in any form of psychological therapy knows very well that the session usually lasts an hour. Depending on the doctor, patient, and the nature of the issues being discussed, it can be the most excruciating hour of your life. Facing long repressed issues, experiences, doubts, fear, and pain. The vulnerability of opening up and sharing your most personal thoughts also has its own fearful challenges. Acknowledging you have flawed thought processes and the self-doubt that follows when your perceptions of reality are shaken or challenged.

The conclusions you come to and accept a new ‘reality’ that you were completely unaware of or thought of. I recall the initial visits, where nervousness to share my stories in these sessions felt like a ‘working hour.’

These things
That I’ve
Been told
Can rearrange
My world
My doubt
In time
But inside out

All along, the psychoanalyst is learning about how you think, process, feel, and, more so, helping to identify your mistakes. Learning to recompense for those mistakes you have made.

We are paid by those that learn from your mistakes.

Fear is such a vicious thing
It wraps me up in chains

For me, there is always fear. I have a fear of outcomes in my mind. Fear of facing the reality outside my awareness. Fear of the unknown.

Find out what this fear is all about

Find out

I can say therapy has helped me overcome many of my fears, or better yet learned to identify and challenge them. The fear will always be there. Always testing me. Often rearing its ugly head in the middle of the night.

Dr. Erin has helped me tremendously. Music has helped me tremendously. Here the two merged for 6:31 seconds of audio pleasure. This song is a beautiful piece of music and a reminder of how far I have come, but still how far I need to go.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim