Skip to main content

Are we friends?

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today’s post is about relationships. How some are lifelong while others are only there for a short time? This applies to romance, friendship, and even casual relationships with co-workers or neighbors.

When people I was close to leave my life, I used to take it to heart. I would blame myself and try to focus on what was wrong with me and why they left. I learned after many years that the issue may have been me, but often was not.

I have recently done my own social experiment to test relationships that I have with people. I was the one always reaching out, always calling or texting, and always planning or attempting to plan to get together. In this experiment, I have done the opposite of what I was used to doing. I stopped texting people, stopped reaching out and stopped inviting. All to see who notices and/or sticks around. Through this, I truly learned who wanted to be in my life and who didn’t. However, with age I do not take it personally anymore. Not friends, not enemies. Just strangers who shared memories.

It is sometimes better to let things be and let people go. The two hardest things to say in life are ‘hello’ for the first time and ‘goodbye’ for the last. Delete the pictures, delete the number, accept the lesson, and move on. Life is about learning.

There is a difference between someone who wants you and someone who will do what is needed to keep you. Don’t confuse them!

I cherish those who are in my life, whether it be brief or long term. I have and still learn for each person. Each person is a paragraph, chapter, or novel in my life now.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

A Walk In The Woods - part 3

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Day 3; We again hit the BRP and made our first stop at the Pisgah Visitor Center .    I bought two hats, looked around a bit and then we headed to Highway 276 and Looking Glass Falls .  This massive 60-foot fall was flowing hard.  The thunderous noise could be seen and felt in the parking area.  This location provided a wooden staircase down to the falls.  Quite easy in fact, but I was feeling the strain from the day before.  Like a giddy child, Mark was all over taking shots, getting wet, but had a smile from ear-to-ear the whole time.  I enjoyed the beauty and power of the falls, took one shot, but stayed where it was dry. Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography As we returned to the Blue Ridge Parkway the clouds parted, the sun came out and we both said we were in for a beautiful day (weather-wise).  We stopped along the BRP a few times capturing shots of the shadows on the road, an old rock bridge covered in moss and as we made our way up the BRP the clo...