Skip to main content

The Funeral

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Internal struggle has always been a major factor in my life. It was tested this week.

My father’s last living sister passed away on Tuesday morning. She lived a good long life and reached the age of 91. She also has been married to my uncle for 75 years. My uncle is in his mid-nineties.

I found out that the visitation for my aunt was Friday from 12pm to 8pm and the mass was at 10am on Saturday followed by the funeral. I rearranged a doctor’s appointment and planned to get off work at 1pm then head to the visitation.

As the week slowly progressed, my anxiety built. My father’s anniversary of his death is quickly approaching and the thought of attending a visitation weighed on me. It is well documented my many visits to funeral homes as a child and even as a young adult. Heck, my mother and father seemed to enjoy visits to the funeral homes for all the people they knew. I didn’t share the same passion.

Thursday night, I tossed and turned. My heart raced (scary after having a heart attack a few weeks ago) and the nausea and fear of vomiting were intense. I also had my mother’s voice in my head. She was telling me what I should do and laying on the guilt as I internally wrestled with the decision not to go. Around 4am I made my mind up that I was not attending the visitation, and my heart stopped racing, the nausea subsided and I fell asleep (for 2 hours).

Friday morning, I woke up, told Marcie of my decision, and reached out to my psychologists to see if I could get in to see her that day. She could work me in. Throughout the day, my mother’s voice echoed in my head. The guilt was powerful, and my internal struggle with being selfish and perceived as a jerk weighed heavily on me. I reached out to a cousin and told her my plans not to attend and she agreed it was okay not going and that I needed to take care of myself. I met with Dr. Erin later, who also told me that same message that I needed to take care of myself and that each of us grieve differently. Visitations are for the family, not the person who passed she described. All of this was a lot of comfort, but I still battled the guilt.

I mentioned in earlier blogs how my mother compared me to people, but not in a good way. She would brag on classmates, friends of mine and even my cousins, some of whom I would face at this visitation. I could not handle that. I felt like a dog who had been beaten as a puppy. Though I found peace and love later, that fear is always there.

Friday night I went through the same anxiety as Thursday night and eventually decided that I was skipping the mass and funeral today. I reached out again to my trusted cousins and sister and explained why I was not attending, and as usual, they threw me tons of support.

I have also planned that I likely will not attend any more visitations and/or funerals. I am fighting the internal thoughts of how that is perceived, but the anxiety and stress are too much. I realize my illness at my mother’s visitation and funeral was not an illness, but various levels of panic and anxiety. Heart racing, nausea, urges to vomiting, stomach pains, sweating are all the things I experienced at Mom’s visitation and funeral. I relived many of those this week as well.

By not attending funerals and visitations, I want everyone to know whoever died is rattling around heavily in my mind. I will just not be there to ‘pay my respects’ traditionally. I hope people understand, but if they don’t I can only take care of me. And with a bum ticker, self-care is even more important.

Until next time.

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

A Walk In The Woods - part 3

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Day 3; We again hit the BRP and made our first stop at the Pisgah Visitor Center .    I bought two hats, looked around a bit and then we headed to Highway 276 and Looking Glass Falls .  This massive 60-foot fall was flowing hard.  The thunderous noise could be seen and felt in the parking area.  This location provided a wooden staircase down to the falls.  Quite easy in fact, but I was feeling the strain from the day before.  Like a giddy child, Mark was all over taking shots, getting wet, but had a smile from ear-to-ear the whole time.  I enjoyed the beauty and power of the falls, took one shot, but stayed where it was dry. Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography As we returned to the Blue Ridge Parkway the clouds parted, the sun came out and we both said we were in for a beautiful day (weather-wise).  We stopped along the BRP a few times capturing shots of the shadows on the road, an old rock bridge covered in moss and as we made our way up the BRP the clo...