Skip to main content

A photo assignment - part 2

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today’s picture is my second favorite image I took in 2022. Again, these may not be the best pictures I have taken, but for me, they all have significant stories or memories.

If you were to plot these coordinates on the map (44°21’11.0” N 64°14’31.1” W) you would see the exact spot the boat above was tied to the dock. You could also click on the map here and if using a satellite layer can see the actual boat from above.

This picture was taken on mine and Marcie’s trip to Nova Scotia, Canada. Specifically at Blue Rocks, Nova Scotia. I took this with my Fujifilm X-T3 and my Fujifilm 16mm-80mm lens (at 80mm). September 26th at 9:49am.

What makes it my number two photograph in 2022? Many reasons. First, I was on a trip with my wife. It was raining or misting a bit, so she never left the car. I pulled off the side of the road, hopped out, walk down towards the cove, and captured this image. There was a slight breeze behind me, and the cool 14.5-degree Celsius (58.1 Fahrenheit) temperature provided a chill on my neck. Something I would only expect from seeing a lobster boat.

As I stood and composed the shot, I could not help admiring the beautiful place I was in. I first noticed the boat, A Proud Canadian II. Which meant there was another one either existing or that came before this one. I loved how clean the ship was, even being painted black and how the yellow stripe popped and stressed the lines of the boat. I noticed the bucket on top of the pipe preventing rain or water from entering what I assumed was the engine, the six square windows I imagine would provide magnificent views out on the sea, and the various ropes anchoring this ship to the shore, cove floor, and adjacent dock. The boat was being drained on one side as well, which meant the recent rains had filled up the boat or it had recently returned to port.

The rope entering the water had some seaweed on it. I loved how it dangled so close to the water on a very dark and what appeared to be an older rope. I wondered how deep it was anchored, who swam down to install the anchor, and where the rope went when the boat was gone.

What caught my eye next were the lobster cages on the dock stacked so neatly. The display of colors varied in yellow, black, blue and one pink one. I knew the purpose of this ship was a lobster boat, but it was beautiful to see them so neatly stacked next to their vessel.

The dock wood showed some wear, as expected, and even the red buoy added to the scene, but was not bright enough to distract. I am a lover of black and white photography, but this shot had to display these colors. The slight reflection below the dock and dark mysterious water underneath it also caught my eye.

I loved this little cove and how it snaked out into the Atlantic Ocean in the distance. The calmer water was on display within the cove and provided by the nearby rocks as a buffer. The water within the cove was very dark and provided mystery and creepiness to me. Only a few yards further out, the Atlantic was stirred up and much more ferocious than the waters of this cove.

Finally, there is the buffer of the blue rocks contrasting with the beautiful and colorful yellow and green vegetation growing on them. I often see trees growing out of rocks in the forest. These plants thrive in a harsh environment yet turned out so colorful. There are even two trees growing this photograph. One of which seemed to almost appear like a Christmas Tree with ornaments on it.

I find the ocean frightening and fascinating. The fact a huge shark could have been in that water, a ship may have wrecked off in the distance, or, as we witnessed later that week, beautiful whales swimming around. The ocean is such a mystery to me. I have watched many documentaries and movies on shipwrecks, anglers that captain these boats in dangerous waters and yet this is such a peaceful photograph to me.

I know nothing about the owners of A Proud Canadian II, if this was their full-time jobs or a side-hustle, or even just a hobby. I know I saw countless lobster (and other) boats on our trip, but these conditions and this ship were my favorite of the trip.

I will leave you with a quote. “Would you learn the secret of the sea? Only those who brave its dangers and comprehend its mystery!”–Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

 

Until next time.

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim