Skip to main content

A photo assignment - part 1



Photo by: Tim Bindner

I was recently featured on a podcast. I wrote in because the host Neale James had a photo assignment for his listeners, upon which he wanted one to three pictures that defined 2022 for each listener. Specifically, “what 2023 is, was or did for you?” With my recent “event” on Thanksgiving Day, I listened to this assignment podcast and wrote in. This link provides the story (and others), as well as the audio portion of the podcast. I HIGHLY encourage you to listen to the entire podcast, but my portion is from 24:55 to 29:05. https://photowalk.show/episodes/wild-water-alex-dawson

After hearing the above podcast, I took the assignment a little further. I am going to review my 700+ pictures I have taken in 2022 and pick three that meant the most to me. I will do my best to steer away from the technical aspects of each picture, but spend the time in the posts to discuss my feelings, situation, location and why I chose the three as my most memorable photos of 2022. These may or may not be my best technically, but pictures are about stories or memories to me.

Before I move forward, I want to challenge everyone reading this to do the same thing. Whether you take shots with your phone, of a “fancy” camera, I think looking back is a good way to reflect on your year. I want to point out my photographer friends, Kim, Mark, Miranda, Lisa, Amanda, Chris, Alan, Tricia and Sister Rose. This challenge is aimed at you specifically.

Today’s picture seen above is the oldest of the three I took this year. It was taken 4/3/22 and if you are a regular reader; you have seen this before. This shot was taken on a Sunday not long after my buddy Kota passed away. The full story can be read here.

I took this with my favorite camera, the Fujifilm X-T1, using a newly purchased lens, the Fujifilm 16mm-80mm f/4 lens. The shot was taken on Highway 62 in Lanesville, Indiana, and a sight I see almost daily. Normally I am driving, but today Marcie drove. I could take this from the car while she slowed down.

So why do I like it? Well, first being a black and white lover, the colors that day spoke to me. I saw the three grouped trees and one lone tree off to the left. Being up on a hill, they appeared to stand tall and reaching up to the sky. The top of one small tree was slightly visible and would normally be a no no in a picture, but I didn’t care. I loved the calm blue skies, few white puffy clouds, orange grass that used to be crops, and slight patches of green gently painted in. The wavy hilltop also provided a flow to the picture. In short, it brought and brings me some peace and calmness. This photo technically is not great, heck maybe not even good, but it combines two of my favorite elements, trees and clouds.

I hope you enjoyed the picture and the podcast above. I hope this brief insight into my photo and the upcoming ones also brings you pleasure. As stated above, photos are made to tell stories and capture emotion. This one brought me much peace at one of the worst periods of my like. I still miss Kota every day.

Until next time.

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...