Skip to main content

A photo assignment - part 1



Photo by: Tim Bindner

I was recently featured on a podcast. I wrote in because the host Neale James had a photo assignment for his listeners, upon which he wanted one to three pictures that defined 2022 for each listener. Specifically, “what 2023 is, was or did for you?” With my recent “event” on Thanksgiving Day, I listened to this assignment podcast and wrote in. This link provides the story (and others), as well as the audio portion of the podcast. I HIGHLY encourage you to listen to the entire podcast, but my portion is from 24:55 to 29:05. https://photowalk.show/episodes/wild-water-alex-dawson

After hearing the above podcast, I took the assignment a little further. I am going to review my 700+ pictures I have taken in 2022 and pick three that meant the most to me. I will do my best to steer away from the technical aspects of each picture, but spend the time in the posts to discuss my feelings, situation, location and why I chose the three as my most memorable photos of 2022. These may or may not be my best technically, but pictures are about stories or memories to me.

Before I move forward, I want to challenge everyone reading this to do the same thing. Whether you take shots with your phone, of a “fancy” camera, I think looking back is a good way to reflect on your year. I want to point out my photographer friends, Kim, Mark, Miranda, Lisa, Amanda, Chris, Alan, Tricia and Sister Rose. This challenge is aimed at you specifically.

Today’s picture seen above is the oldest of the three I took this year. It was taken 4/3/22 and if you are a regular reader; you have seen this before. This shot was taken on a Sunday not long after my buddy Kota passed away. The full story can be read here.

I took this with my favorite camera, the Fujifilm X-T1, using a newly purchased lens, the Fujifilm 16mm-80mm f/4 lens. The shot was taken on Highway 62 in Lanesville, Indiana, and a sight I see almost daily. Normally I am driving, but today Marcie drove. I could take this from the car while she slowed down.

So why do I like it? Well, first being a black and white lover, the colors that day spoke to me. I saw the three grouped trees and one lone tree off to the left. Being up on a hill, they appeared to stand tall and reaching up to the sky. The top of one small tree was slightly visible and would normally be a no no in a picture, but I didn’t care. I loved the calm blue skies, few white puffy clouds, orange grass that used to be crops, and slight patches of green gently painted in. The wavy hilltop also provided a flow to the picture. In short, it brought and brings me some peace and calmness. This photo technically is not great, heck maybe not even good, but it combines two of my favorite elements, trees and clouds.

I hope you enjoyed the picture and the podcast above. I hope this brief insight into my photo and the upcoming ones also brings you pleasure. As stated above, photos are made to tell stories and capture emotion. This one brought me much peace at one of the worst periods of my like. I still miss Kota every day.

Until next time.

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim