Skip to main content

Ordinary world

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today I did an ordinary task, and took a routine and ordinary picture, but the feedback from that shot was overwhelming and quite honoring.

Each week for years now, I take the trash out to the curb for pickup on Tuesday afternoon. Sometimes I take it late Monday evening, other times I wait until Tuesday mid to late morning. Today was the latter.

It is November 15th; 40 degrees and the rain/mist began falling around 7:30am this morning. It was 10am when I made the 100-foot trek (one-way) to the curb and back. The driveway was wet and the air windless yet still cool on my skin. I grabbed the trash can and rolled it out to the driveway. My head bowed to avoid moisture hitting my glasses, I strolled back to my back door. I savored every cool breath and soaked up the feeling I had out in these conditions.

Fall is my favorite season. Today’s light mist, gray skies and cool temperatures are my ideal environment. Only thing missing is the forest or mountains. Don’t judge me. I love what I love. I turned a simple chore into something more meaningful and I didn’t take routine for granted.

Upon reaching my back door, I looked to my left, before entering my home, I saw out of the corner of my eye a single leaf laying on the rocks. As I examined it closer, I was filled with comfort, calmness, and peace. I stepped inside the house, grabbed my phone, then back out to capture the picture above. I considered grabbing my camera, but I figured this quick shot would suffice. I lined the shot up, hit the button, and went inside.

I sent the picture via email to a group I established on my work email. This list includes co-workers and friends/family outside of work. I send them random pictures I have taken for them to enjoy.

Immediately I got compliments. One said, “That is the shot. Look at how the water is placed. And the colors of the rocks really compliment and focus the leaf,” and they even added “The veins of the leaf are strong and really showing. Red, green, bronze. Very pretty. Canvas worthy?” My cousin provided a comment that blew me away “WOW! I love it! You make the ordinary beautiful!” That got the wheels turning and helped generate this post.

How often do you and I become so distracted in our daily lives we miss simple things like the picture above? Is it extraordinary? No. Is it peaceful? For me, yes. It is a simple photograph that reminds me to see the beauty all around us. I notice this more in the forests I hike, but now realize beauty is all around me. It helps to have a photographer’s eye, but I need to train my eyes to look for beauty in the ordinary and often mundane daily tasks in life. Like I experienced today.

The photograph above will be printed. Canvas? Maybe. Print? Definitely. Not sure if it will be hung on my wall or placed in my wooden print box, but based on the feedback, I received my shot deserves to be printed in my mind. A print to remind me to see the ordinary and notice those little details, like the veins of the leaf displayed in this picture.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim