Skip to main content

Chilly morning

Photo by: Tim Bindner

I started today off early. I woke up at 6 am, ate breakfast and headed to the trail by 7:30am. I needed this hike today.

The parking lot was empty. My temperature gauge read 19 degrees as the sun was lighting up the sky. I parked, grabbed my stuff, and headed down the path towards the lake. My mind, as usual, was racing, and I looked to slow it down. I had my new camera around my neck and my eyes began scanning my surroundings for pictures to take. There is always something to shoot, but going to a familiar place often causes me to be complacent and for go pictures I have already taken. This is, however, my therapy, so I trudged on.

I reached the end of the pavement and move east towards the wooden bridge and eventually the path. As I skirted the lake, I was startled by a squirrel who was also startled by me. He was on the side of a large tree and then ran across my path, turned, ran back towards the tree, then disappeared up it. As I walked by, I told him, “You scared me dude”, and I proceeded on.

I decided today I would go a different route than I normally do. This location has a few paths, but I could still mix it up a bit. As I ventured deeper into the woods, I could hear gunshots in the distance. It was deer hunting season, but I was safely on private land, where no hunting was allowed.

As I proceeded deeper into the woods, the sun began peeking through the trees and lighting up the surrounding hills and treetops. I could also feel the warmth of the sun when it hit my face. I soon shed my hat, then my gloves, and finally unzipped my coat. The phone said it was 22 degrees, but my body was overheating.

I took a few pictures along the route, and the noise in my head quieted down. The woods served their purpose for me today. I was happy to be alone in the woods today.

I spotted two deer staring at me briefly before dashing off into the woods; I saw a few squirrels, and even some birds, but no people. The shadows danced off the trees and the cool air filled my lungs. It was a cleansing of sorts for me. I knew soon I would be back to my life and all the constant worries I have floating in my head, but for 90 minutes I was able to significantly quiet the noise.

Until next time.

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim