Skip to main content

Peace

Photo by: Tim Bindner

As I am approaching my next trip around the sun, I have been thinking a lot about my past. Recent past, childhood, teenage years, young adulthood and the decisions I have made along the way. I also wonder about the various outcomes, or how my life would be different, if I had made different choices. Thinking of the ‘what if I had done this’ scenarios?

A portion of my daily brain activity is also focused on the future. I try to prepare myself for the unknown, and like my thoughts of the past, I run through a gambit of ‘what ifs’ in the future. This activity is more to prepare for possible bad outcomes than good.

These questions I have mentioned in previous posts, so I will not repeat them here. I am trying to catch myself. When I think of the past or worrying about the future ‘what ifs’, I try to realize I am thinking about it. I have realized recently how much time I waste doing this, and how fruitless of an activity this is. A complete waste of energy.

I remember once that the brilliant guitarist, Carlos Santana, said, “Most people are prisoners, thinking only about the future or living in the past. They are not in the present, and the present is where everything begins.” I agree with him, but it is easier said than done. At least for me.

I cannot change my past. I can plan for the future, but cannot predict it or even change it. It will happen as it is planned to. Whether you want to call it fate, or God’s plan, my future and your future will play out as it is supposed to. Maybe not how you want it to, but how it is supposed to.

I plan to do research on this topic. Including talking to Dr. Erin and Mark about how to live in the present. It will not be easy for me. I will probably always struggle with it. My goal has always been to find mental peace. I have told my wife and friends that I really don’t see myself relaxing, or having mental peace until after I die. I can, however, try to learn to let go of the past, plan but not stress on the future, and hopefully spend more time in the here and now.

If you have any tips or suggestions on how to do this, please let me know.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...