Skip to main content

An unexpected shot

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today I want to talk about the picture displayed above. Yes, this is a blog about photography, and I know many of you will tune out, but this is about why I took the picture, not the technical aspects of it.

As I have lived in my small town for 9 years, I take the same routes when I go to other towns. Some of this is by choice, some of it is because of limitations of lack or roads. I have, however, learned as a photographer to learn to look for things.

On a busy road (busy for the country) name Highway 62. This two-lane road is also known as The Ohio River Scenic Byway. It begins in Georgetown, Indiana and travels through small towns like Lanesville, Corydon, Edwardsville, Leavenworth and a few others.

This road has new houses, old houses, farmland, old barns and, as mentioned, small towns along the route. As a photographer, I am always looking for things that interest me to shoot. The shot above is one I have been wanting to take for years.

Sunday, Marcie needed to get me out of the house. I have been in a mental and emotional funk for a while now. She laid down to take a nap. I went outside to sit and stare at the clouds and birds. She came out shortly after and said, “grab your camera. It is a nice day and we are going somewhere.” After asking a few questions (to know what camera and lens to take) she told me we were going to the Louisville Zoo. She drove us there, but plans quickly changed as we saw a full parking lot. She said “let’s go to Cave Hill Cemetery”. We did.

We spent some time driving around and me taking some shots before we headed home. I have written how Cave Hill brings me peace. It is such a beautiful place, though also sad seeing all the monuments to lost souls. I have never felt bad here, never sorrow. Only peace.

On the way home, driving on Highway 62 I rolled down the window and could take the shot above. Marcie asked if she needed to slow down. I said no, and set my camera’s settings before depressing the shutter button.

I have driven by this so many times, but either didn’t have a camera, had traffic behind me, or not the right lens or conditions to shoot this scene. Today was the day.

We were, of course, moving at the time I took this, so I was not sure how my shot would turn out, but I think it looks good. So why do I like this so much?

Hannibal Lector, in the Silence of the Lambs said, “We begin by coveting what we see every day.” I think that is an accurate statement. I love trees, clouds and open fields. This shot has these in one. I notice these things more. I have seen the above with storm clouds in the past. With fully bloomed trees. Even with grown fields of grass or corn.

I love the fact that there are 3 trees lined up together and one more off by itself. That they appear on a sloping hillside. I also love the fact that the clouds appear sporadically placed in the sky, both large and small. Finally, the openness of the field and the color contrast of greens and yellows blend against the blue in white of the sky. I have coveted this shot for a while now and without Marcie getting me out of the house today, I would not have shot it. This picture brings me peace.

I jostled back and forth with black and white and color, but ultimately I chose the color version. This is a simple shot and nowhere near to technically good, but I don’t care. This shot will win no awards, or ever end up on the wall of a gallery, or anyone’s home. That is not why I shoot, nor why I shot this one. I hope you enjoy the shot. I hope it can bring you a moment of peace like it did and does for me.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim