Skip to main content

Part 2 - Cancer

On Tuesday of this week I went to visit my new doctor (well nurse practitioner), as my previous doctor took a new role as CEO of our local hospital.

I arrived, waited, was taken to the examination room, waited again, and then she arrived. We went over recent lab work and her serious concerns and recommendation for further tests and additional medication.

I will not go into specifics about what was discussed, but the news was not great and of course only added to the pressure and anxiety I was feeling from my last post. As mentioned in my last post, I do NOT want pity.

I returned home, finished my workday, then received a text from a different friend I have known all my life. I have known this person all my life, and she had read my blogs recently. She had texted me to tell me she had just finished this one and that it provided her clear insight into my state of mind and who I was. I asked her if we could talk later that evening. We did.

She called, we exchanged pleasantries, asked how each other was doing, then she let me know she was diagnosed with stage 2 cancer. Her mom had the same thing, and she died from it. Immediately, I began running through all the outcomes in my mind as I listened to her talk. With anyone who is close to me, I take on their problems and pain. I did this for my friend. This one I cannot fix.

We talked through her Chemo treatments, what things she has done since being diagnosed and how our lifelong friendship has recently become stronger. She expressed the doctor’s positive affirmation that “this is very curable” but many thoughts of her mortality as well as selfishly my mortality entered my mind (especially based on what I heard earlier that morning).

We continued to chat for some time, then ended the call. The conversation didn’t end for me. I was now juggling three issues that were weighing on my heart. Stay tuned in the next post for what happened Thursday.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...