Skip to main content

Motivation

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today I want to talk about motivation. Motivation pushes us on every aspect of our life, but with only two driving factors.

We as individuals are driven or motivated toward something good or away from something bad. What do I mean by that? The best way I can explain this is through examples.

As children, we were told early to do our best and get good grades. We soon learned and chose a path of motivation for that. For some, it was good. To learn, to be acknowledged or praised, to achieve, to grow. For others, such as myself, I was motivated by the bad. I was scared to get poor grades (which I got plenty) due to ridicule from classmates, having conferences with my teachers and parents, and discipline for those poor grades from the school and/or parents.

Another example may be home, car, or career title. Excellent motivation would live in a house that was designed and built to meet your needs, or driving a dream car that has specific meaning to you, or climbing the corporate ladder because of hard work and positive desire. On the flip side, driving a brand or type of car, living in a type of house or neighborhood, or what I see often reaching or pushing for a work title that meets expectations of others or society.

Appearance is one of the biggest factors that are motivated by the bad. Appearance is so critical of everyone’s mind. The diet companies, plastic surgeons and gymnasiums make a fortune pushing a look that most of us would never achieve even if we worked at it full-time. There are commercials on television about removing bags under your eyes to “look years or decades younger”.

In more recent times, social media has led to this need to not only be noticed and acknowledged but also praised and liked. “Like my video and give me a thumbs up” is a common theme on YouTube, for example.

I admit I have fallen into that trap as well, for a long time. Once I started looking at my motivation for my appearance, what I drive, how I live, heck, even how I take pictures, I then began changing my perceived result based on if my motivation was good or bad.

I have been looking at deleting my social media accounts, such as Facebook and Instagram. Looking at what motivates me or in the case of Facebook, what aggravates me about it. For me, I am deciding what my true motivation on those platforms is and if it comes from good or bad.

I challenge each of you to look at every aspect of your life. Job, home, vehicle, hobbies, significant other, appearance, social media, friends, etc., and truthfully decided what is the motivation for the choice you have made. If it comes from bad motivation, may I suggest working to change that aspect of your life?

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim