Skip to main content

Mount St. Francis in the snow

Photo by: Tim Bindner

This week we had some snow, which lead to some beautiful, yet challenging, footing on my hike this morning. I also tested out a new lens I got.

Upon arrival in the parking lot a little before 8am, I noticed I was the only vehicle there, which meant I was the only person there. This is my ideal hiking preference.

I headed along a familiar route, leading me through the fields, past the water tower and into the woods. Crossing the field, the wind picked up and the left side of my face and ear tingled. It was 30 degrees, but the wind made it feel much colder. I hurried my pace to reach the woods, and once enveloped by the trees, I knew the wind would not be a factor. I was right.

The snow did two things. First, it provided a more challenging terrain, which lead to a few slips here and there. Second, it provided a quiet hush to the surroundings. Each step I took was muffled by the packed snow beneath my boots. Even the occasion squirrel rush through the woods was much more silent than normal.

I made the turn at the back of the property and then headed for my favorite bridge. As I approached it, I could see the partially frozen stream that ran underneath. I stepped up onto the bridge and looked around. Utter silence. Silence for not only for my ears, but for my mind. No thoughts, no worries, no cares. I just looked around and enjoyed.

I soon moved on and headed up a large, steep hill toward a field that I have traveled across many times. By the time I reached the field, I unzipped my coat, took my gloves and hat off, and welcomed the cool breeze. I checked my watch. My heart rate was 164 beats per minute. I continued to follow the trail, but at a much slower pace.

I left the field, went down a slippery raven and up the other side, and then turned left instead of my normal right. I could see the partially frozen lake to my right and because of the absence of leaves on the tree, I saw an ‘A’ framed structure I had not been to in over a year. That was my next stopping point.

The trail led me past the structure, then curved to take me back that way. I crossed a small bridge, went up a hill, then veered to my left and walked into the ‘A’ frame. I decided this was a delightful spot to take a break. I cleared snow from the bench and had a seat. Time slowed down, like my heart rate and breathing. I again closed my eyes and let the cool air wash over me. I rested for about 15 minutes.

I got up and noticed below me there were some tracks across the frozen pond. I headed down to investigate. I snapped a few shots and wondered about the animal that made those tracks. I turned and saw a few more sets across the other side. Picture worthy? Who knows? I took them anyway.

Along the trails I traveled today, I saw people’s tracks, deer tracks, dog tracks, squirrel tracks and even rabbit tracks. I added to the collection with some 11.5 inch boot tracks of my own. These will be gone today as the temperature reaches above 40 degrees, but it was nice to see fresh clean tracks in the snow.

I headed back toward the trail and continued on my journey. I did not see a soul on my 3+ mile hike today. I felt like it was my woods, my trails, and my land. Of course it wasn’t, but today, for a few hours, maybe it was.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim