Skip to main content

Final wishes

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Recently, my wife lost her grandmother on her dad’s side and her uncle on her mother’s side. Both services had similarities and differences. It got me thinking about my mortality and wishes upon my death.

I have written about part of this already in a post called upon my death, but I wanted to expand on this a bit.

If you read the blog linked above, you will see I am donating my body to a medical school, where they will use me for research and then cremate me and return my ashes to Marcie or Gavin (whoever is left). None of that is changing. What happens after that is something I have talked to my wife about, but want to share here and explain my reasoning for that.

In most parts of the world, death is celebrated and not mourned. Death is talked about, planned, and not a taboo subject. In America, it is almost the opposite. At a minimum, nothing is done or discussed with family or friends, scrambling around after a death occurs. At best, the burial, funeral, or headstone, is prepaid and maybe some arrangements are made.

I will be cremated and hopefully Gavin will spread my ashes (or some of them) at one of my favorite places I have visited (read above). Between the cremation and him, receiving the ashes to spread, what do I want?

I do not want a mass. I do not want a viewing. I do not want a formal funeral. I do not want any type of service, memorial or visitation. I have been to so many of these things in my lifetime and it is always uncomfortable. People never know what to say, and often people that show up have not seen the dead person in a long time. Sometimes in decades. I feel most people go out of obligation.

I hope to have a headstone prepared and prepaid for soon. I will probably write my obituary, and in that obituary, I will mention where my headstone will be placed and anyone who wants to come say goodbye can do so there. Not an official gathering like a funeral, but on people’s own timeline. No pressure to dress up, go say “I’m so sorry” to Marcie, Gavin, or my sister, and no awkward waiting around deciding when is a safe time to leave.

I do not discourage anyone reaching out to Gavin, Marcie or my sister after my passing, but like visiting my headstone I want people only to do that out of want, not obligation.

These are my wishes. Hopefully, they will not have to be carried out for many, many years.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim