Skip to main content

Silence is Golden

Photo by: Tim Bindner

It felt so good to be back. I realized two things today. Neither were surprises.

It has been almost 5 months since I have been out hiking in my area. My body yearned to be in the woods, and so did my soul. This Sunday morning I headed to my church to be one with God and with Mother Nature. Neither disappointed me.

I arrived at 7:30am and headed along a familiar path toward the lake. In the distance, I could see the fog rolling across the pond and felt the cool breeze energize my body. I had not seen this place since late spring and the trees still were covered with green leaves and the paths were surrounded by various foliage.

The temperature hovered around 51 degree and I quickly learned lesson one. I am out of shape. My legs felt like I was walking in sand, and I struggled to breathe. I could feel the pain from the massage I had two days before, but endured the soreness partly because of wearing some compression socks. I was there, and I pushed myself to finish my normal route.

Lesson two took some time to sink in, but I learned how much I miss the forests. Hiking alone, I did not speak; I listened. I heard squirrels scampering about, saw a large deer hop across a creek and deep into the forest in a series of 15-20 strides, and I also heard occasional rustles in the leaves that I could identify. The birds sang to me and the wind gently cooled my skin.

I began talking to God. I thanked him for allowing me to still do this, asked for his blessing upon Marcie and Gavin, who were hopping on a plane in a few hours, and asked if there was anything I could do for him. The last part I never seem to get an obvious answer to.

I continued to walk along the various paths, soaking in the solitude when I stopped for a moment of rest. As I arched my back into a stretch, my eyes gazed skyward, and saw a small sign hanging on a tree above me. One side said Silence is Golden and the other side Quiet Zone. The irony of that sign at that moment was eerie. I listened. I heard nothing. No birds, no wind, no animals, no planes. Nothing. I stood there, looking at this sign with the sun backlighting it through the trees. I sat there in silence, just staring at the sign. I do not know how long I was there just looking at this sign, but ultimately I got the message loud and clear.

My life, like everyone else’s, is fast-paced. We work hard and fast; we exercise hard and fast. We are bombarded by social media and media hard and fast. Everything we do is hard and fast. This simple sign told me to slow down. Be quiet and enjoy my surroundings.

Maybe this was God asking me to slow down for him. I don’t know. I do, however, know that I finished my 3.75 mile hike, took a few pictures, slowed my brain down, and I heard what the sign told me. Silence is golden. I challenge myself to do a lot more listening and a lot less talking. Especially in nature.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...