Skip to main content

Silence is Golden

Photo by: Tim Bindner

It felt so good to be back. I realized two things today. Neither were surprises.

It has been almost 5 months since I have been out hiking in my area. My body yearned to be in the woods, and so did my soul. This Sunday morning I headed to my church to be one with God and with Mother Nature. Neither disappointed me.

I arrived at 7:30am and headed along a familiar path toward the lake. In the distance, I could see the fog rolling across the pond and felt the cool breeze energize my body. I had not seen this place since late spring and the trees still were covered with green leaves and the paths were surrounded by various foliage.

The temperature hovered around 51 degree and I quickly learned lesson one. I am out of shape. My legs felt like I was walking in sand, and I struggled to breathe. I could feel the pain from the massage I had two days before, but endured the soreness partly because of wearing some compression socks. I was there, and I pushed myself to finish my normal route.

Lesson two took some time to sink in, but I learned how much I miss the forests. Hiking alone, I did not speak; I listened. I heard squirrels scampering about, saw a large deer hop across a creek and deep into the forest in a series of 15-20 strides, and I also heard occasional rustles in the leaves that I could identify. The birds sang to me and the wind gently cooled my skin.

I began talking to God. I thanked him for allowing me to still do this, asked for his blessing upon Marcie and Gavin, who were hopping on a plane in a few hours, and asked if there was anything I could do for him. The last part I never seem to get an obvious answer to.

I continued to walk along the various paths, soaking in the solitude when I stopped for a moment of rest. As I arched my back into a stretch, my eyes gazed skyward, and saw a small sign hanging on a tree above me. One side said Silence is Golden and the other side Quiet Zone. The irony of that sign at that moment was eerie. I listened. I heard nothing. No birds, no wind, no animals, no planes. Nothing. I stood there, looking at this sign with the sun backlighting it through the trees. I sat there in silence, just staring at the sign. I do not know how long I was there just looking at this sign, but ultimately I got the message loud and clear.

My life, like everyone else’s, is fast-paced. We work hard and fast; we exercise hard and fast. We are bombarded by social media and media hard and fast. Everything we do is hard and fast. This simple sign told me to slow down. Be quiet and enjoy my surroundings.

Maybe this was God asking me to slow down for him. I don’t know. I do, however, know that I finished my 3.75 mile hike, took a few pictures, slowed my brain down, and I heard what the sign told me. Silence is golden. I challenge myself to do a lot more listening and a lot less talking. Especially in nature.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim