Skip to main content

I care, or do I?

I will continue to blog, but I have taken my writing a step further and journaled as well. Not quite a typical journal, but one that captures quotes and brief thoughts.

I began carrying around my Bigfoot Pocket Journal (laugh if you want). I have a Zebra F-701 pen tucked in a sleeve and the journal itself zipped up neatly within a Lochby Pocket Journal case.

Inside I write quotes, brief thoughts and saying I either remember reading or maybe made up in my head. Sometimes the lines between what I read, remember or create get blurred. If I can remember who wrote it, I note that in the journal.

Why do I do this? I am unsure. I think when things strike as meaningful or appropriate for how I am feeling; I jot them down. What’s the point? For me, I think it is simply cathartic. Like these blogs, I can read back on them to see how I was feeling at a certain moment.

This week I was sitting in a parking lot at the hospital waiting for test results. The rain was pouring down, and I jotted down some things in my journal that were on my mind.

I have a tendency to reach out to ‘friends’ via text or actual phone calls and only a few actually respond. It got me thinking about why I always have to be the initiator and reach out. While listening to the rain on the sunroof and windshield, I thought of two things.

First, one of the hardest pills I had to swallow was realizing I meant little or nothing to those that meant the world to me. And next was, no one is too busy. It is a matter of priority.

I think both go hand in hand. I am far from perfect, but I always make time for those that are close to my heart and I call friends. On these reach outs to my friends, the same people answer my calls and text, whereas the others always don’t answer or respond.

We all have jobs, kids, spouses or some combination of all of those things, but does friendship rank above or below those things? Where does it fit in?

Our fast food culture has taught us as a society to run, run, run and be constantly busy. What it failed to teach us the simple pleasure of a quick conversation with someone. To check on how they are doing and actually listen to their response.

I have learned who is too busy for me. I provide answers like ‘I’m fine.’ when they ask because I know deep down they don’t have the time or energy to truly care how I am at that moment.

I often spoke of circles of friends. I know many people, but there are a tiny few that are in my inner circle. Those who respond when I text or call, or actually reach out to me first, are in that group.

I challenge each of you to think hard about who your friends truly are. Can you text or call them and will they respond or, better yet, drop everything if you need them? If the answer is no, in my book, that is not a genuine friend.

I will leave you with one more thing from my journal, which I believe makes me such a vulnerable person to others. That’s my problem: I think too much, and I feel too deeply. What a dangerous combo.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...