Skip to main content

My opinion

From the day we were born (and even before that) our brains developed. Once we thought rationally, we formed opinions. These opinions are how we as individuals process situations, emotions, facts and justify or clarify them in our brains. It is natural and normal.

The age of social media has changed our way we deal with opinions. They are glorified and encouraged by social media and the regular media. It is our “right” to voice our opinions whether they were asked for.

The problem is people want to voice their opinion on every subject, usually with little to no facts behind it. Their source for facts are Facebook, what someone told them, some website on the internet, or skewed media sources.

Problem two is with the internet anyone can find facts to justify their topic at hand. If I look up, the world is flat, or Bigfoot exists, or so and so is the best candidate for President, there are dozens of websites to ‘prove’ I am right. The sources are based on opinions and rarely, if ever, facts. It does not matter to the source or recipient. It is a way to ‘prove’ they are right.

Problem three, and probably the worst, is with social media people can quickly get their opinion out on any subject then walk away. Conversely, they can also argue with someone’s point and also walk away. I have seen a lot of strong opinions on my stuff that I would honestly say would not be voiced to my face.

I miss the days when we could have debates or discussions on differences of opinions without it getting personal. I often have discussions with my Trump fan, and right to bear arms supporting neighbor, and we leave with mutual respect and no anger towards each other. Obviously, I have an opposite view of what he believes in those subjects. We do, however, listen and try to understand the other’s point of view.

I feel those days are long gone. It is easy for people to hide behind a keyboard and say whatever. Respect for each other has long gone as well. People hide behind “it’s my right”, without compassion or even an attempt to understand other people’s views.

I am and will try hard to stay out of these battles, moving forward. Regardless of how much I argue (or anyone, for that matter) people will not change their minds. It is a waste of energy and futile attempt to do so.

You’re not supposed to win or lose arguments. You’re supposed to reach a mutual understanding and agreement. Otherwise, you both lose.

I am going to let everyone have their opinions and keep my own inside my head. I also will not be drawn (or try not to be drawn) into conversations that force my opinions out. It will not be easy, but it is not my business how others act, behave, think or react unless it threatens me (or my family) directly.

I see the irony of this post and the fact that everything above is my opinion, but hey if you made it this far, you must at least be interested in mine.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim