Skip to main content

Deerwood Ranch & Wildhorse Eco Sanctuary - part 7 (final)

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Our last day in Wyoming was very memorable. We only spent a few hours on our last day there, but it was magnificent.

We woke, had breakfast, packed up our suitcases and took them to the car. We drove to the front of our hotel, went inside, and checked out.

We then drove down Highway 130 for the last time. I stopped and got a wonderful picture looking back at Centennial and the mountains in the background. A few miles down the road, we turned right on Highway 11. A few miles on that dirt road lead us to our destination for the next few hours.

Deerwood Ranch and Wild Horse Eco Sanctuary is the first privately owned wild horse eco sanctuary in the United States. With the number of wild horses dropping in the United States, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) tried using private land to help repopulate the herds.

Through a strict selection process, the owners Rich & Jana Wilson were granted the right to provide their 4,700 acre property for the wild mustangs. With 360 horses on the property, Rich & Jim care for the horses, but not in the normal way.

The BLM pays Jim & Jana for the land that feeds the horses and the feed they provide them. Jim has authority to “put a mustang down” if it is deemed necessary, but other than feeding, counting and checking on them, he is hands off.

The mustangs are neutered so no additional surprises will appear, and the property boasts of elk, coyotes, deer, burros and other wildlife. Each mustang is branded and numbered, to help Jim & Jana track or count them.

Turning off Highway 11, we entered a gravel drive that lead us about a mile or longer past hay bales, extensive fields and a few homes. We soon arrived at the ‘gift shop’ where we met Jim. He inspected our tickets, then pulled out blankets for us to sit on. His pickup truck bed had been changed with wooden benches and backs. That would be our viewing platform for the tour.

Jim drove around the barn, onto a dirt path, through a gate, past two burros and toward a large hill. The mustangs were lined up on the hill and, honestly, the white clouds behind them were a photographer’s dream. We drove closer, and Jim hopped out explaining everything I told you above before he said “hang on, I will drive up the hill”.

The pickup rattled and shook as we ascended. We all shook side to side in synchronicity. Each rock, prairie dog hole and divot were felt. Soon we were on the peak of the hill and Jim again jumped out to explain the markings on the horses and telling us about individual ones. We could not get out of the truck as he explained, “recently we let people out and one horse kicked another and killed it. So we stopped doing that.” Remember, these are wild horses, not used to people.

Regardless, many horses approached us. Marcie pet one for a few minutes, then it moved along. Jim told us each mustang had a buddy. You would never see one alone. This was something we witnessed. A wonderful sight we saw over and over was horses laying their heads on the back of their buddies. They would alternate doing this, but you could easily identify each horse and who their buddy is.

Jim told us a story that “a few winters back, I got a call from someone in Centennial.” He pointed the direction where we had just left our hotel. “They said we have some of your horses here.” He said, “I laughed until they began describing them and reading off their brands (unique numbers each horse has)”. “The snows drifts were so high they had covered multiple fences from here to Centennial so the mustangs went for a walk to town.” He continued, “An old rancher told me once, never repair a fence until they return.” When he got to town, the horse recognized him, “turned their heads like they were in trouble and walked back to the ranch the way they came.” He said “if I had fixed the fence or cleared off the snow, they might not have come back.”

Jim got back in the cab of his truck and we eventually left the area, headed back down the hill and into the large pasture. I looked back and could again see the entire population of the horses lining up on the back of the ridge. It was magical and majestic. Words really cannot describe it.

Once back at the ‘gift shop’ we parted ways. I thought of how lucky Jim & Jana were to have that kind of life and, more importantly, their passion for what they do. Our 1-1.5 hour tour took over 2 hours because of Jim’s passion. He told stories, talked about the horses, and filled this city boy with knowledge of ranching. None of us minded.

I have often heard “God’s country”. I think being out there with those wild mustangs and on that nearby mountain called Medicine Bow Peak, which could be seen from the ranch, I now know what that term means.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim