Skip to main content

Over Think?

Photo by: Mark Wilcoxson

Last Friday I met with my Psychologist and as usual we had a great conversation about what things were troubling me as well as the things that were going great. One such topic I plan to discuss here.

After a very emotional week for me, I discussed the three main impacts this past week held for me. While discussing the details with her, I mentioned two specific conversations I had recently. I was told by some “friends” that I am an over thinker.

During our conversation, I provided the detail and the label I was given. She disagreed with that statement and diagnosis. As she described it (or I interpreted it) an over thinker is someone who harbors on a subject to where it affects them so much that it debilitates them. They will focus on a particular subject or issue and that exercise will affect other areas of their life. They may change their behavior, actions or lives because of it.

She said if anything I ruminate. The definition of ruminate is ‘think deeply about something’. If you know me at all, you know I ask questions. Lots of questions. This may be interpreted as being nosey or meddling in someone’s business, but I have no secret agenda when I do this. My sole purpose in asking questions is for understanding. I want to get all the facts so that I can understand the circumstances and provide feedback if needed.

I take everything in, analyze it and then decide based on the facts I have. I ask questions then ‘think deeply about something’ before I answer/decide. My communication is best done face to face, as my written communication (via text, IM or social media) is often lacking enough details for many or my primary intent is misconstrued.

I know a few people (will remain nameless), and see all the time on social media and with certain family members, that do not have filters or think before they speak. I have witnessed countless times people speaking their minds with disregard for the outcome or even processing the thought before it passes their lips. Someone who over thinks, or in my case, ruminates, does the opposite of this. I get the facts, process it and then (hopefully) give an intelligent response based on my interpretation of the subject/situation.

Another friend told me recently that “words are powerful”. It was not in this context but applies I believe. Saying the first thing that pops into one’s head can be very dangerous. I don’t do that, and cannot control others that do.

I’m sure some of you are thinking this is post is a perfect example of over thinking. It is not. I was ruminating on the subject. I worked it out with Dr. Erin and in this post. This is my logical and analyzed response to the label I was given.

Like I approach my photography (picture of me above). I look, I analyze, then I decide and shoot. That is how I now approach life.

I will try to limit my questions, think about the receiver when I provide information to them and be more mindful (not over think) when communicating with others. Especially via written statements.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

A Walk In The Woods - part 3

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Day 3; We again hit the BRP and made our first stop at the Pisgah Visitor Center .    I bought two hats, looked around a bit and then we headed to Highway 276 and Looking Glass Falls .  This massive 60-foot fall was flowing hard.  The thunderous noise could be seen and felt in the parking area.  This location provided a wooden staircase down to the falls.  Quite easy in fact, but I was feeling the strain from the day before.  Like a giddy child, Mark was all over taking shots, getting wet, but had a smile from ear-to-ear the whole time.  I enjoyed the beauty and power of the falls, took one shot, but stayed where it was dry. Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography As we returned to the Blue Ridge Parkway the clouds parted, the sun came out and we both said we were in for a beautiful day (weather-wise).  We stopped along the BRP a few times capturing shots of the shadows on the road, an old rock bridge covered in moss and as we made our way up the BRP the clo...