Skip to main content

Kite

I mentioned in a previous blog that as a child I had a ton of freedom to play and explore my neighborhood. This is not something very prevalent today for kids. Here is a story of one such memory I have.

As a photographer I am drawn to clouds. The larger and more ominous they are, the more I love them. The reason I am drawn to them is that of my childhood.

One early spring day, my buddy Jack and I headed out to a field next to my house to fly our kites. I had an extremely large roll of twine and my black bat kite. The kite was in the shape of a triangle, colored black, and had two enormous eyes underneath. These eyes looked at you as the kite flew above.

Jack and I walked about ¼ mile from my house on a windy March day. Emerging from its winter nap, the grass had just began growing, so it was very low and was more brown than green. We found our perspective spots, tied the strings on our kites and let the wind do its thing. Within seconds the kite was at 10 feet, then 20 feet, then 100 feet above me. I let a bit more line out and then staked the roll into the dirt and laid down on the ground.

As I watched my kite (and Jack’s) drift slowly from left to right, dancing on the wind. I drifted off myself. My attention floated past my kite and into the cloud above it. There were large cumulus clouds dotting the sky and then a process (I found out later) happened. Blue field entoptic phenomenon happened. If you ever starred into a blue sky, you know what this is.

The dancing dots above me left their squiggly trails behind them. I was hypnotized by their movements. The cool breeze and warm sun helped take me deeper into a light coma.

Suddenly I was shaken from my trance by Jack. The stick I had jabbed into the ground that had a line connected 150+ feet up to my kite had come loose. The stick was now hopping down the field toward a major highway. I sprung up and gave chase. I ran as fast as I could, but each hop of the stick was at least 30 feet and my young legs had no change to catch it. I ran anyway.

The field was rectangular, and I’d say covered at least 10 acres. It was bordered on one side by a crop field (behind me), to the right was dense woods, to the left a few houses and in front of me was Dixie Highway.

I ran with all my might. Jack did too. My kite was flying higher when the wind (for a moment) stopped blowing. The stick hit the ground, and I felt a sense of relief. I was closing in on it.

I grabbed the stick, and then another horror was before me. The kite now was diving for the ground and its landing point was on or over Dixie Highway. Out of breath, I had only one choice. Run back the way I came. I hoped to get enough momentum so that the kite would catch air and return to sky and not crash down on a busy highway.

I ran as fast as I could and felt the string tighten behind me. I kept running for about 20 feet, then stopped to look. The slack in my kite string was now tight. The wind again was blowing. My kite, however, was rapidly descending toward the highway. I panicked.

I yanked at the string and the nose of the kite turned horizontal with the highway, then began heading upward. Relief. Quickly the kite turned right and began violently going into figure “8” motions in the sky. The force pulled me off balance, and I fell to the ground.

With a death grip, I held the stick as my arm and shoulder were being jerked by the force of the wind. The stick cracked under the pressure. I grabbed the rope, which unraveled from the stick. The rope slid through my hands and the burning/stinging pain made me wince in pain.

For a few minutes, I struggled to secure the rope with my hands. They were raw, and I was in a lot of pain. Every time I felt I had to control, the wind would pull the kite harder and I would lose some slack on the rope. This time the 5 foot wide kite appeared as a small dot in the sky and I guess it was 400+ feet above me or more.

The battle resumed as I tried to control my kite. Then suddenly it happened.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim