Skip to main content

Kessner Cemetery

Photo by: Tim Bindner

I took a short hike today to Kessner Cemetery (N38°09.912 W86°14.995), but the journey was not about the destination but the hike to get there.

I awoke before dawn at around 6am. I had my camera, map and backpack ready to go. Something, however, unnerved me about this planned hike. I was going to an even more deserted and less traveled road than I was on the day before, and as usual I would have no cell service. This was part of my second book research and I knew I had to go, but could I go alone?

I had a detailed map in hand so I fought my anxiety and fear, got in my car and off I went. As mentioned, the road I would park off of was Dutch Hollow Road, and offshoot of Cold Friday Road. There is a single private lot at the end of Dutch Hollow, so traffic on this road is almost nonexistent.

As I turned onto Dutch Hollow Road, the mist filled the wooded area around me, and the narrow gravel road was something straight out of a horror movie. Good thing I enjoyed those, but I do admit I was creeped out.

I soon backed into a small pull-off and saw the locked gate in my rearview mirror. I got out of my car, grabbed my stuff, shut and locked my car and stood there in silence. An eerie silence that brought a chill to my spine. It was 46 degrees; I was miles from anywhere and I had not seen a car or a person in over 30 minutes. I was alone.

I took a deep breath and headed to the locked gate, maneuvered around it and started up the incline before me. My destination was less than a half mile ahead, but with each step I felt I was getting deeper into a magical forest. Humidity was peeking at around 95% or higher, and the mist provided a blanket of hush all around me. The work tire tracks below my feet were clearly defined but looked like they had not been used in quite a long time. Between the tire tracks was overgrown grass, small trees and an abundance of leaves. Some were as tall as my knees. To both sides of me lay a dense forest. I continued up the hill, not knowing exactly where the cemetery was, but my senses were on overload. The hush amplified each sound I heard, which was few. The smell of the damp leaves and trees brought a calming feeling to me. Then of course there was my vision. My photography eye was buzzing. The mist, muted colors and exposed trees provided ample opportunities for shooting. I took advantage.

Soon I saw to my left the sign for Kessler Cemetery. Without that sign, I would never have known there was a cemetery there. Behind the sign the area was very overgrown with thorn bushes, small saplings and tall grass. I maneuvered throughout the area, shooting what headstones I could make out. There was not much here, so I spent about 15 minutes walking around then began my brief journey back to the car.

I have completed another cemetery for my book, but I have to say, though the cemetery was not all that fascinating the hike to and back, helped me conquer a fear, and honestly the isolation of this place and the fact I went alone, helped.

As hiking often does for me, I had no thoughts of my outside life while I was here. I looked for shots, observed some deer, read some dates on headstones, and looked at beautiful trees. Truly not a care or worry in the world.

I returned to my Subaru and headed back up the long drive to the park. This was my hidden place today. It was all mine, and I was alone. I got to see things no-one else will ever see, and it made me smile.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim