Skip to main content

My buddies

Photo by the owner

Sometimes it is the smallest things in life that bring the most joy. Today one of those things occurred that reminded me of that joy doesn’t have to come from money, trips, items, adventures, but a simple gesture.

Every day during the week, if it is not raining, I take a few walks around the cull-da-sac by my house. A two loop trek nets me about 1800+ steps and .9 miles.  I am trying to get 10,000 steps a day, and being outdoors is much better than trying to achieve my goal on a treadmill.

In early spring and late summer, a few kids at the turn of the cull-da-sac catch the school bus.  During those times it is light out and I begin my walks as the sun comes up.  I go later in the winter because of safety reasons (being dark).  About 7 months ago, I began taking a dog treat with me to give to a beautiful white Labrador named Bailey.  She would see me coming while her master was waiting for the bus and she would start shaking, her tail getting faster as I approached and soon the treat in my hand was in her mouth.  I would chat, get some loving from her (and give it back), then continue on my walk.

I never really paid attention, but as I walk now, long after the bus has gone, I make the turn and see Bailey starring out the window at me.  She does not bark, jump around or even move, but just stares at me as I pass by.  Like a fool, I will wave or hold up the treat to show her.  Since I do not see her in person, I quickly leave the treat in the newspaper box and continue on my way.

Today I saw her owner, and she told me, “Bailey gets excited to go to the mailbox and get her treat.  I appreciate you doing that.”  That put a big smile on my face.

Next door to Bailey’s house (you know the dog owns the houses we live in), lives Joey.  Joey is a white Australian Shepherd with almost white eyes (light blue technically).  Joey is a puppy and has all the traits and charm of a puppy.  I began today, leaving a treat in his newspaper box as well.

Yesterday was a rare sunny day.  As I approached the turn, I waved at Bailey and then spotted Joey, who was outside with his adult sister.  I walked through the yard where he growled, hid behind his sister, started walking toward me, then turned and hid again.  I squatted down, held out the treat, and he bolted toward me.  He grabbed the treat ran back to his sister who said “you didn’t even say thanks Joey”.  Joey gulped down the treat and then charged me again.  As he got close he tripped, rolled a few times and finally stopped on his back at my feet.  He jumped up, ran in between my legs about 5 times in two seconds, then he stopped for some love.  I gave him some.  He ran away, turned, darted back, again tripped, and this repeated a few times.  I said goodbye to him (this was pointless as he is deaf), said goodbye to his adult sister and headed on.  He followed me, so I snatched him up, walked him back to his sister and left.  Holding a small dog is easy, hold a small hyper and squirming dog is another thing.  His sister and I both grinned.

Today as I walked down the road I saw Joey standing in the window barking at me.  I have never seen a dog stand on its hind legs, but Joey was using the window to stand up so I would see him.  His lower legs were on the window seal and his upper legs stretched halfway up the length of the window.  His stance didn’t last long as he fell and disappeared from my sight.  In a fraction of a second he was back at the window, again repeating the previous act.  I shook my head, grinned and moved on.  His barking lessened as I walked out of sight.  This sight of him stayed fresh in my brain for hours.

This is such a small thing, but it brought pure joy to me.  All thoughts I had about my life, stress, and anxiety were gone for those moments.  I had two buddies that were and are looking out for me each day.  I bring joy to them with a simple act of providing a treat.  It makes my heart melt.  I now have the motivation to walk every day.  I cannot disappoint Bailey and Joey after all.  By the way, my dog Kota gets a treat as well when I go on my first walk of the day.  So I guess I should say I have 3 dogs looking forward to me exercising.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim