Skip to main content

Hog Barn Primitive Site

Photo by: Tim Bindner

One of my favorite things to do scared me today.  I can laugh now, but at the moment it was not so funny.

I sat out to locate and shoot the Hog Barn Primitive Site, along the Adventure Hiking Trail in Harrison-Crawford State Forest.  I was on the road at 7:40am.  The temperature on my car dash showed 34 degrees, and the overnight dusting of snow illuminated the trees along my drive down Highway 62.

As I entered O’Bannon Woods State Park, I traveled down State Road 462 (Old Forest Road) past the guard shack and Fire Tower.  I turned right on toward the campground and entered the visitor parking area.

I grabbed my gear, locked my car, and headed toward the Iron Bridge Horse Trail.  There was no-one around and my descent into the forest surrounding me was quite peaceful, yet a bit unnerving.  I had never been this direction, but had a good idea where I would be heading.

The gravel road was a slow descent and within 0.3 miles I had reached the intersection of the Fire Tower Bike Trail.  I had recently hiked this trail to this exact spot, but had not realized I was close to my destination when hiked it previously.

The Fire Tower Bike Trail was muddy along the trail but flanked by a blanket of snow.  The only sounds I heard were my boots sloshing in the mud.  The trees and snow masked all other sounds.  I hike alone and in peace for a mile along this familiar path until it intersected the Adventure Hiking Trail.  I stopped, called my wife (who didn’t answer), looked at the map and started down the steep section of the Adventure Hiking Trail.  The steep descent, combined with the wet rocks and tree roots, had me grabbing trees to slow my pace and provide stability.

Soon, to my right, I saw painted on a tree in burnt-orange pain the words ‘Hog Barn’.  Behind the tree, I could see two more trees with the same color squares.  I knew this was the direction I needed to go, but there was no discernable trail before me.  I saw a slightly steep slope toward a creek or runoff, then more squares on tree going up the other side of the hill.

I made my way down the raven, across the dry creek and slowly up the other side.  At the top of the ridge were very large rocks, partially covered with snow and bright green moss.  As I stood on top, I could see more trees marked with the squares heading down a steep descent, and then I spotted the Hog Barn Primitive Site.  This was my destination, but getting there would not be easy.

Gingerly, I made my way down to the site.  Hidden rocks and roots below the snow caused my feet to slide and slip.  I grabbed trees to stabilize me, and my hiking stick saved me many times from falling.  As I got closer to the structure, I realized how alone I truly was.  I saw no footprints in the snow, not even animal tracks.  I was deep in a raven, and as mentioned before, the snow and trees masked all sounds.  This was not the place to get injured.  My wife knew where I was going, but I knew she had no way of telling anyone how to get here.  Besides, if something happened it would take a long time for anyone to find me, unless they knew specifically where to look.

I took the shot above as I made my way down the hill.  I tentatively approached the structure and hollered out multiple times, in case someone was inside.  No-one answered.  I walked around shooting the barn from different sides, then all those horror movies I love to watch creeped into my brain.  This was the PERFECT spot for a Jason (Friday the 13th) or in-breed people from Wrong Turn to appear from this place with no place for me to go.  My mind had me spooked and of course I thought I heard something inside.  I didn’t.  I walked around the Barn, closing watching the second-story windows expecting to see something looking back out at me.  Again, I didn’t.  I stopped, grinned, and the game my mind was playing on me, listened to the silence, and admired this beautiful sight before me.  I didn’t enter the Barn, however, though I was so highly tempted to.  That is an adventure for another time, when I am with Mark or someone else.

I then began my ascent up the hill.  Down was tough, up was extreme.  I went from 442 feet above sea level to 520 feet above sea level in .11 miles.  It does not seem like much, but trust me, with unstable soil, wet rocks, and hidden holes and tree roots, it was not an easy climb.

As I reached the ridge overlooking the runoff on one side and the Hog Barn behind me, I called my wife again.  This time she answered.  As I caught my breath, I told her about the structure and the way I got here.  I also told her how I creeped myself out.  She laughed and told me to be careful about coming home.

I returned to the Adventure Hiking Trail, made the ascent back to the Fire Tower Bike Trail, then headed back toward the Iron Bridge Horse Trail.  The hike back was slower than before, and it took a while to catch my breath, but I reflected on where I had been and what I saw.  This beautiful barn will be part of my photo project.  I am glad I made it there and look forward to taking Mark there.  It is as a naturalist told me “a hidden gem”.  I 100% agree.

I have one more location to shoot.  I may do it tomorrow or next weekend, but I can happily say I truly enjoyed hiking to each place and shooting each one.  It is not about the pictures for me, but about the adventures in getting to the locations.

Today’s experience for me I think can be summed up in this quote.  Among the scenes which are deeply impressed on my mind, none exceed in sublimity the primeval forests… No one can stand in these solitudes unmoved, and not feel that there is more in man than the mere breath of his body.”–Charles Darwin.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim