Skip to main content

'Tis the season

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Thirteen years ago (2007) at 3:59pm my Dad took his last breath.  It has been a long time, but this time of year still bubbles up some of those memories.

My Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer (are you listening smokers) in May 2007.  This was 23 years after he stopped smoking, but the damage was obviously already done.  I watched a 6’0” man go from 230+lbs down to 170lbs in the course of six months.  He was in and out of the hospital, but ultimately died in a hospital bed in the living room of his home.

I remember the day well.  They called hospice on Sunday (day before he died), and they came that morning to stop all meds except the pain meds.  Our neighbors, some family, all came and went throughout the day.  We all said goodbye to Dad, not knowing when the actual end would come.  I have one regret about that day.  My sister- and brother-in-law left to go get medication for dad from the local drugstore.  Dad died while they were gone.

Vividly, I remember the moment it happened.  Dad was taking shallow breaths, Mom was a few feet away doing something in the kitchen.  I had seen this before in the nursing homes and hospitals I had worked in, so I knew he was close.  As the clock approached 4pm, Dad tried to sit up, arms reaching out, and we quickly called Mom over.  Dad was not coherent, at least to us, but he says something.  We told him to go (something that happened again this past June when Mom died), and he took his last breath.

I often wonder what Dad saw in that last moment.  Did he see God, Jesus, his Dad or Mom?  Only he knows.  I have often questioned my faith, but in the one fleeting moment I became a believer.

Two years later, my cousin Tom died of the same thing (yes, he smoked too).  You see, a theme here?  My cousin Tom was like a big brother to me.  He moved into an apartment above our garage when I was quite young and stayed there until we moved out when I was sixteen.  I shared things with Tom, hung out with him and learned life skills from him.  I found out years later that he and my parents had a understanding.  Anything I shared with him, he would convey to them, they would advise that he would pass on to me.  I was none the wiser.

When Dad passed away, I leaned heavily on Tom for support.  It was short-lived as he was taken away only two years and two days later.  Two of the most influential men in my life left me in a two-year span.

As I sit here looking up at a calendar made for us by my mother-in-law, I see the picture above with the word BAHUMBUG written underneath.  I was also told this week from a co-worker the same thing, after I mentioned I hated this time of year.  After explaining to her that my Dad loved this holiday and began celebrating at Thanksgiving, she understood the pain and reasoning why I no longer like Christmas.  She even messaged me “it is ok”.  Oddly, it is something I needed to hear.  I feel guilty for not wanting to celebrate, hang out with family or be festive, but “it is ok”, and I have a justification for why I don’t.

I still have thoughts and memories of Dad and Tom, but this time of year, they seem to boil up to the surface more often.  Like that moment as a child when you realize Santa is not real, December 17th, 2007 at 3:59pm the magic of Christmas left me.  No matter how long I live, Christmas will never be the same without my personal Santa Claus.  I miss you, Dad!

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim