Skip to main content

Hate

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Today I want to talk about hate.  It will be a rant, so tune out if you prefer, but I have to get this off my chest.

These past few years the world I live in seems to not only be more hateful, but society promotes that hate.  The recent Presidential election is a true testimony of that.  Regardless of who you voted for, I have seen people on both sides of the fence get very mean and angry at others.  I have seen if you voted for Trump unfriend me.  I have seen if you voted for Biden; you think I am a racist.  Jesus’ people!

This hate spills over into other areas.  Society has promoted not only the right to share your opinion, but to force others to hear your opinion whether they want to hear it.  I know people that are not having family over for Thanksgiving because of the election and who they voted for, and some of those same people thinking COVID-19 isn’t real.  I saw one person post on a friend of mine’s site that “they act like COVID-19 is as bad a Tuberculosis”.  Really?  Both were horrible, both killed many people and made other extremely sick, yet this guy wanted to prove his knowledge or point was better than others.

I have again deactivated my Facebook account.  I am not completely deleting it because there are people I message on the other side of the world, and I do not want to lose those connections.    I know someone will say just unfriend, or unfollow those that bother me, but honestly I feel that would be almost everyone.  In most cases it is not my “friend” on Facebook, but the comments from their friends that I cannot get around.  So for me, it is my choice to just remove it all.

I have recently had two conversations with people that voted for Trump.  There were no emotions, there was no anger, and we gave facts why we voted for our candidate.  Ironically, in both conversations my friends left saying “wow that was refreshing having a conversation without having to defend an attack or being put in a category.”  This is where it needs to start.  People having conversations about politics, racism, religion, healthcare, life, love, etc., using logic and facts without getting those emotions in the way.  The media is the worst at this.  Watch any local news channel and I guarantee the first 5 or 6 stories will be negative, before they present a positive one.  Shootings, protests, robberies, COVID-19 deaths, etc.

We are bombarded by likes on Instagram, likes on Facebook, likes on YouTube.  We believe that only if you get praise and recognition (likes) is your work, thoughts, statement or opinion justified.  A line from a song by Jewel (Save Your Soul) popped in my head when writing this.  “People live their lives on tv.  They say they’re better than you, and you agree.”  I’m sure some of you are all ready to snap in defense of that statement, but it is more true for most of us than we will admit.

You know when you get a fresh new sheet of paper and crumble it up?  If you try to flatten it back out those wrinkles never quite get perfectly smooth again.  That is how my psyche has been these past few years.  My spirit is like crumpled paper.  Can it ever be perfect again?

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

P.S. The group Trapt redid the song Save Your Soul as referenced above, and it is so much better than the original.  Don’t hate me for that opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim