Skip to main content

Halloween scare

Photo by: Tim Bindner

Saturday morning, I headed out for a short hike at Mt. Saint Francis. My legs were recovering from the previous day’s walk around Cave Hill Cemetery, so I went somewhere close. I made the 4.02 hike, but learned some things along the way.

It was still dark when I arrived in the parking lot. My car was the only one there, and I liked the thought of being completely alone. As I walked a familiar route down toward the lake, the 38 degree weather invigorated me. My lungs filled with the cool air and boosted my energy. As I got closer to the lake, I could see steam rising from the lake, and quickly captured this shot above. I again chose color to shoot today, due to the beautiful leaves that provided me with a perfect canvas upon which to shoot.

Today I brought my older model Fuji XT-1 camera with my $25 vintage lens. I felt it was appropriate and hoped this older camera and lens would provide me a fresh look to one of my favorite trails.

The trails weren’t very visible, because of all the leaves blanketing the ground below my feet. Regardless, I had been on these trails so often my feet were on autopilot and new where to go, I just had to decide the direction. As usual, I crossed the back side of the lake, across the bridge and up the hill (without stopping, I may add), and made it to the intersection of trail 12. I stopped for a moment to decide which route to go and headed down trail 12 towards the creek. The last time I was here the creek was dry, today it was flowing. As I descended into the gully I once again recalled my recent coyote story, and it brought a smile to my face.

As I reached the top of the hill I turned left and headed through the field before me. As today is Halloween, I took this route and see an old abandoned shed that was fighting with bamboo over which would live in that spot. I have mentioned this before, but this location and sight were something straight out of a Friday the 13th or some other horror film. I proceeded on and headed down a steep hail toward trail 10.

Halfway down the hill, I heard a rustle to my left. I stopped to see a frozen statue of deer. The only thing moving was its fluffy white tail. We had a starring contest for about 90 seconds, then I gingerly headed down the rest of the hill. Slick rocks, wet leaves and the steepness of the trail all provided me with a perfect opportunity for me to easily end up on my back or butt. I can gladly say it didn’t happen.

I moved back toward the direction of the car. Made my way up trail 8 and then across a field and back to trail 10. I headed back into the woods. The sun on my back was warming me up quickly, and the only sound I could hear was the rustle of leaves as my boots scattered them all about.

I soon made the turn at the deepest part of the park and headed back toward my car. As I reached the dam and climbed the hill. This is where concern creeped in. I am borderline diabetic and been on the NOOM diet for two weeks. I have lost eight pounds in that time, but at this moment I was getting very dizzy and weak. I stopped and had a banana. I knew had about a mile and a half left to go, but my body was fighting me. Fatigue had set in, as mentioned, I was dizzy and I developed a severe headache. Was my sugar dropping, was I just tired, what was happening? I called my wife to check in and tell her what was going on. She offered to come get me, but I knew I was close to the car, so I refused her offer and proceeded forward.

I have felt my sugar drop in the past, but this was more severe than before, and I had not had all these other symptoms with it. Each step I took was a genuine struggle. The car was in the parking lot up a hill. I could barely lift my feet and had to stop every 30 feet and catch my breath. I was fighting my body with each step I took. I do admit it terrified me, and I knew I was alone. I also knew if something did happen, Marcie knew where I was, and this was a popular area to hike, so I would be found soon. Thankfully, neither happened.

I eventually made it back to my car. I sat there, drank some water, logged my activity and eventually started the car and headed home. I rolled the window down and called my wife, letting her know I made it and was on the way home.

I can happily say I made it home. I guess that was my Halloween scare, but I can say I didn’t enjoy it. I soon ate lunch, and the symptoms subsided. I decided that something was going on and that my lack of calories for the morning caused this episode. I am wiser now and will be prepared.

Today’s hike was very refreshing (minus the last mile) and something I needed. Two hikes in two days. My hiking season has begun, and I look forward to the next few months of hitting the trails, taking pictures, and sharing my adventures.

Until next time,

Tim (a. k. a. Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim