Skip to main content

Daniel Milnor

Photo by: Daniel Milnor

Today I received an interview reply from a photographer/writer/photojournalist, and self-titled creative evangelist, named Daniel Milnor.  He is a fairly new discovery for me, but his work, especially his photography, has quickly elevated his status to the top of my favorite list of photographers.

When researching or looking for various topic coverage on YouTube, I am often lead down the rabbit hole that allows me to discover new topics/people/genres.  On one such trip, I came across this video featuring Dan.  After watching the video, I searched for more on the channel and then found Dan’s own channel listed below.  I was hooked.

So why does Dan rate as my favorite photographer?  Honestly, it is the fact that he not only has a true purpose with his photographs, but takes the time to educate his listeners/viewers on how and why he took the photos.  As you will see below Dan studied photojournalism.   Dan did and still enjoys his photography on film, though he has moved to digital recently.  He shoots mostly in monochrome, which is my favorite, and his pictures tell stories.  For me, his work is not like 99.9% of images you will view on Instagram or Facebook feeds.  As you will also read below, Dan takes the time to educate himself on the location, person, or event he is there to shoot.  This has got me thinking about my own work, and how learning the history about where I am when I shoot makes the photographs that more special and meaningful.

One other aspect that drew me to Dan after watching his YouTube channel is the fact that he journals.  Dan works for Blurb, but long before he joined Blurb he was journaling. Remember, Dan studied photojournalism. Though photography and a photographer can tell stories sometimes with pictures, a photojournalist looks for the stories to write/tell and brings photographs in order to enhance or help explain that story.  That is what Dan does.

Most journals I have seen are just writing, and fairly neat and clean writing at that.  Dan’s journals are not.  He takes photos, cuts them out and pastes them in his journal.  He uses various size fonts on different pages. His writing may be in a layout with straight lines or written sideways on some pages. Dan even includes his own and other quotes within his journals. Dan’s journals are not neat and clean, but they work and meet his vision.  They are also not just randomly thrown together, either.  Actually, just the opposite.  He does not sell his journals, these are his own work, in his own words, for his own purpose.  One particular video he sums up why and how he does his journals.  To quote Morgan Freeman from the movie Seven “Just his mind poured out on paper”.  That is what I feel Dan does in his journals.

Dan has mentioned in another video that he goes out with a messenger bag, a journal, and a camera (maybe two), and he shoots and writes as he hikes, bikes or walks along whatever location he is at. I currently save my thoughts for when I get home.  Likely missing or losing many of those thoughts I have in the moment.  Dan’s philosophy is to stop and write it down in the moment because likely he will not remember an idea or thought later.  A great idea that I am trying to put into practice.

Yet another idea that I have been doing for quite a while now, is one Dan also practices (though for much longer than me).  He goes out with one camera and one lens.  If he takes two cameras, each will only have one lens on it. Carrying a bunch of extra weight, and missing shots because of changing lenses, is a colossal waste and one point I believe we both agree on. I wonder how many shots I missed while fumbling to change camera lenses?    setup is best.  Learning what your camera and one lens can do makes the photographs more consistent and uniform.

Finally, Dan enjoys and feels everyone should print their photos.  For a while this was a struggle for me, but I have to admit, doing it over and over I have enjoyed the feel and touch of a printed photograph.  Social media has destroyed the essence of photography, with likes and swipes.  As you can view here, he has three key reasons printing is relevant, especially these days.  I really hung on the “sense of accomplishment” he mentioned in that video.  The act of taking a photo, editing it, having it printed and hold that print in your hands or hanging it on a wall, is pure joy.

Below are the three links Dan provided me.  He is not on Facebook or Instagram, but does many YouTube videos and splendid work on his website.  Please check them all out.  My interview questions and Dan’s answer are below his links.


http://shifter.media/

https://www.youtube.com/user/SMOGRANCH

https://www.ag23mag.com/

 

Which is your favorite lens? – I think we have to narrow the system first. Historically, I’m a Leica/Hasselblad photographer. So, with the Leica, it would be the 50mm f/2 with the built-in hood. No idea what generation that is. With the Blad it would be the 80mm. These days I no longer call myself a photographer, and my duties with a camera have changed dramatically. Translation, I mostly shoot digital and use the Fuji system. However, my favorite lens for the Fuji is actually a Speedmaster .95, 50mm equivalent. Makes me focus so I feel like I’m actually participating in the photography.

What is your favorite style of shooting? – Long-term, people-based documentary photography. Find a story and go back again and again over a period of years to begin building an essay with images. Sad part, rarely ever get time to do this anymore.

Among the gadgets you own, is there something that you wish you hadn’t bought? – Hmm, not really. At least not yet. I did buy something about a year ago that I have not yet used. This isn’t because I don’t want to use it, just that I haven’t had the time to really explore how it works. I’m not a gear/tech guy. I’m a “show me your negatives” kind of guy. (I did just buy a $60 N100 HEPA mask to see if I could find a mask that does not fog my glasses. Fingers crossed.)

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures? – Well, I got a four-year degree in photojournalism, back in the day, and spent three years assisting world class photographers across all genres of photography. Then spent twenty-seven years as a full-time photographer. But oddly enough, the real education began AFTER I quit working as a photographer. This education began after realizing I was a good photographer and a boring human being. So, I began to spend my time in the library educating myself about the rest of the world.

Whose work has influenced you most? – Where do I begin? From the photography side, it was those who paved the road I was hoping to travel. The Gene Smith, Salgado, Gilles Peress of the world. Then it was those I actually encountered early on. People like Maggie Steber and her work from Haiti. Now my influences come from outside traditional photography. The natural world, science world, politics, tech, etc. And when I do look to photography, I look to people like Hank Willis Thomas who uses a camera but is really more of a conceptual artist.

What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos? – Be more. Don’t just be someone who presses the button. People who only know photography tend to be boring. (Readers/viewers/collectors don’t care what camera you used.)  I don’t think it’s enough anymore to be a photographer. Know your history, which will show you the context in which you belong.

I appreciate the time Dan took out of busy work and travel schedule to answer my questions.  If you have any interest in photography, journaling or creating, subscribe to Dan on YouTube.  I promise it will be worth your time.  Without ever talking to Dan he has inspired me to read more, create journals (along with continuing this blog), research what I am shooting, and shoot with a purpose.

Until next time,

Tim (a. k. a. Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim