Skip to main content

Achievements

Photo by: Tim Bindner

I recently reached out to a friend, Michael, and was checking on him.  Michael often wrote a blog while working and partly inspired me to write.  I noticed in reviewing his blog it had been one year since he wrote, so I was reaching out to remind him.  His response was simple.   To paraphrase he wrote his blog based on his work experiences and now that he is retired, “I am mostly content and I am enjoying my simple life.

He then sent me a quote from Alan Watts that stated, “The meaning of life is just to be alive.  It is so plain and so obvious and so simple.  And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.” Michael followed that with words of his own, “Why do we feel we all must accomplish great things?  Just live your life…”.

This got me thinking.  I have mentioned in many blogs of friends that want the house with the white picket fence, or the trophy mate, or the job title.  Others show their worth via college degrees, vehicles they drive, certain brands of clothing, things they own, or the worst of all their pictures/status on social media.

Michael and Alan are right.  Why do we have to accomplish things to be considered successful or great?  Part of the struggle I have right now is just that.  I never measure myself based on societal pressures or what ‘others’ perceive as great, but I see that pressure on my wife and son.

Society ‘tells’ us how to look, how to act, what to wear, how to vote, what lives matter, what to eat, what to drive, what titles are important.  It is all unneeded and unjustified pressure.

For me, I do for me.  I drive what I want, dress how I want to dress, act the way I want to act.  I am not concerned with job titles, or the size of my bank account.  I couldn’t care less how many followers I have on Instagram.

Look deep inside yourself.  Every action, reaction or goal.  Is that truly for you or because you are supposed to do that?  Do you go to church because of God, or is because your faith tells you to?  Do you drive a certain car because of its reliability, gas mileage, cost, etc. or because it is a status symbol?  Do you diet and workout for your own health or because society says it is bad to be overweight?  Do you vote for one party and hate the other because of whatever you hear and read?

My goals are simple.  Get out of debt as soon as I can plan to retire before I am scheduled to see what I want and do what makes me happy regardless of what society tells me.  Yeah, I drive the least expensive Subaru, but it is a 2019 and paid for.  I bet I get better gas mileage than you.  I dress in jeans or camo pants and t-shirts.  Hey, I am comfortable.  I am bald and overweight with a big gray beard.  I am fine with my body.  I am happily married, have a great kid, a few noble friends, and my hobbies benefit me, not anyone else (unless you enjoy my pictures and blogs).

My life will never have stories written about it.  My pictures will never be displayed in galleries.  I am fine with that.  I am here for me, my wife, my son and my friends.  I stand tall (like the picture above), I stand proud, and I am happy.  That is all I want and can ask for.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim