Skip to main content

I am validated

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography (https://www.instagram.com/timothybme/)

Recently I read a quote from one of my favorite musicians, Chris Cornell.  He told his daughter Lily Cornell once, who also battles anxiety, “Stupid people don’t have anxiety. The fact that you’re worrying about what the outcome is going to be and thinking what every possible option could be and worrying about all the ways that things could go wrong, it’s because you’re very smart and because your brain works really fast. And even though it sucks, and it can feel like a total burden, you’ll harness it and you’ll figure out how to use it in ways that are helpful to you and others.”  This quote hit me hard.  I spoke to my doctor about this recently and even apologized to her, because she often gave me a similar message, but it was not until I read it did I as feel validated.  I am normal, I am not petty or childish, and I am not stupid.

Most days I still struggle.  Some days I can easily overcome the speed of my brain, other days are more challenging.  The weather has limited my time spent on my coping mechanisms (hiking, blogging, photography and listening to music), which has only added to the daily anxiety I feel.

My friend Mark is back from his vacation, and he motivates me to go out and take pictures.  I didn’t realize how having a buddy with the same interests means so much.  His friendship and willingness to explore only adds to the benefits I have when out with him.

Fall is about 30 days away and again this excites me for the opportunity to shoot colors and get back on the trails.  The oppressive heat, bugs, snakes, ticks and poisonous plants will disappear soon, and that is when this bear will come out of hibernation.

Anxiety sucks.  It often consumes me.  I hope someday I will conquer it.  I yearn for ultimate peace and my mind to rest.  I will leave you with another quote from Chris. “Half alive. Heard the most brilliant lie. Sleep is eyes closed to the light. Death is the mind wide open.”–Chris Cornell.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...