Skip to main content

Butt Shake

Photo by: Timothy Bindner

Today I took a day off work and spend a few hours with my buddy Mark traveling the back roads of Indiana and attempting to take some infrared pictures.  I reached one goal, but not the other.

We base infrared photography on the light we can see and the how the camera can capture those light rays we cannot.  You can read more about it here.  As I love monochrome photography, IR photography just adds yet more punch to the style I prefer.

Mark arrived at my house around 11:30am.  I jumped in the Jeep and we headed out towards Highway 11.   Our plan was simple.  Drive the country roads, enjoy each other’s company, embark on a delightful conversation, and stop and take photographs.  Our first destination was Elizabeth, Indiana.  A small town with a population of 207.  Mark pulled over in an old abandoned gas station at the intersection of Highway 11 and 211, where we both grabbed a few shots of old gas pumps, and a sign showing gas for $1.11 a gallon.  Quickly we jumped back in the Jeep as the clouds and rain from hurricane Laura reminded us Mother Nature is in charge.

A few more miles down the road and we were in the town of Laconia.  An even smaller town with a population of 50.  I grabbed a few shots in Laconia before we moved on down N Tobacco Landing Road, south towards the Ohio River.  The conversation continued and as we passed fields full of cows, horses and a rusty old vehicle we were soon on Crosier Road SE and coming up to Crosier Cemetery.  This is where the fun began.  Mark stated, “I remember going back down this road and taking a picture of this old fence.  You will love it.”  Well past the cemetery, the road quickly changed to gravel, and we were making our way through the woods with NO TRESPASSING signs on both sides of the road.  In the country NO TRESPASSING usually means no hunting in the woods.  I felt about 40% safe at this point.  Mark moved forward a bit and soon we were driving down a steep grade (I’d guess 45% +).  About halfway down this hill we could see the other side was just as steep going up if not steeper.  Mark said “uh-oh” and put it in park. Through the Jeep in 4×4 and down the hill we went, then up we went.  Another snarky comment, “maybe we should have driven your car”, and then we were in the thickness of the woods.  Something you might expect from a horror movie.  Maybe ¼ mile later we saw a turnaround spot with NO TRESSPASSING and PRIVATE PROPERTY signs all over trees.  We followed directions and got out of there.

More driving and we were back on Highway 11 headed toward Mauckport and eventually New Amsterdam.  Mark had mentioned he had been to New Amsterdam before, but as we arrived at the abandoned General Store, he quickly realized he had not.  We again poured out of the Jeep and started taking photos.  One particular window pane caught my eye.  It is the one above.  I know it promotes cigarettes, but I loved the color and weathered look of the green paint and the ‘Kool’ figure of the penguin.

Our journey continued down the twisty Big Springs Road, Lickford Bridge Road, Dixie Road SW, Fairview Church Road SW, then finally to W Heidelberg Road SW.  We were back in familiar territory for me.  We crossed Highway 135 and made a stop at Butt Drugs, for two Butt Shakes.  We sat outside, drank our shakes (a black raspberry for Mark and marshmallow for me), while we continued to chat, watch and listen to heavy downpours, then headed back to the Jeep.

Within 15 minutes I was back home.  It was a nice and relaxing day for me (other than the roller coaster gravel road).  Mark told me about his upcoming trip, helped me decide on locations for my upcoming trip to Wyoming, and we talked about photography.  I learned today my attempts at infrared photography were unsuccessful, but it was a good day for me.  I shared pleasant conversation, had a Butt Shake, and took photographs.  I realize in these moments how precious they are to me.  A simple drive with a buddy seems simple, but it means so much more to me.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim