Skip to main content

Country Roads

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

As I am in the throes of hibernation I have taken some time to reflect on the past few days, weeks, months, and even years. I have gained some insight, have a new perspective, and really drilled down on what is truly important to me.

Unlike a huge majority of people, I hibernate in the summer and ‘come out of my cave’ in the fall, winter, and early spring. I hate the heat (well my body does), I can’t stand ticks, midges or mosquitos. I also feel the topography for how I shoot pictures is lacking this time of year. Finally, with my mate Mark out west, I have no real desire to pick up my camera much less get out in the heat.

I am using YouTube, 500Px, Instagram, and podcasts to fill my time, educate me on photography, and keep me inspired during this hibernation. One thing I have done is again review my personal catalog of pictures which is intern drumming up memories and those experiences I had when capturing those photographs. One such image (above) caused me to pause and reflect a bit longer. Here is what I remember and love about this picture.

First the technical aspect of the picture. It was taken December 21, 2019, at 10:18 am. Was taken with my newly acquired Fujifilm XPro-3 and my manual Yashica 50mm lens. Camera settings Classic Negative Film Simulation, F/2, 1/4000sec, ISO 8000 at 50mm. Location 38°16’14.0″N 86°32’25.1″W.

Mark and I had just hiked Hemlock Cliffs trail, on a cool winter morning and we were heading back down a gravel road (County Road 13) when I asked Mark to stop and pull over. The green cedar tree and orange/brown tall grass on one side and orange leaves on the other side of the road caught my eye. Combined with the gravel road and the mystery of the hill, I felt I needed to capture this. I did. More importantly, this photograph brings me peace. At the time Mark and I were alone in the area. There were a few trucks pulled off the side of this road with hunters nearby, but we didn’t see or hear them. When I lined up my shot all I heard was the low hum of Mark’s Jeep and a slight breeze blowing through the trees.

As a young child, I remember days going to family farms (relatives), or to the lake and driving down similar country roads. Many times in the back of pickup trucks (yes I survived). I also drank from water hoses but that is another story. I guess this moment took me back to those country roads. The smells, the sounds, the feeling, the spirit of the woods. I added some grain to the picture to match the memories in my mind (not as clear as things once were), and the muted colors were also reminiscing of many of those fading memories. But for a fleeting moment, I was back in my childhood and I was semi-able to capture a photographic memory of that time, for me, and now you.

This photo, like the gravel country road, is a similar image many can see on countless back roads throughout America and other parts of the world. For me, it was a moment taken in 1/4000 of a second, but the day hike, the memory it conjured up, the company of a dear friend, the escape my mind had for a few hours (and revisited now) and the feeling I had will stay with me as long as my memory holds up and I have this photograph. It is not one I have printed, but reflecting back, it will be ordered soon.

I will leave you with a John Denver song lyric that aptly sums up what this photograph and moment truly means to me “Country roads, take me home. To the place, I belong.” Now you have that song stuck in your head, huh?

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...