Skip to main content

A special hike with a special person

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

My hike this morning was at a familiar place, but this time I have a different companion.  I experienced nature with my wife and it was a great time.

I had asked my wife on Friday if she wanted to join me Saturday morning for a hike at Mount Saint Francis.  I knew the weather would be appealing to her (72 degrees when we began), and I even invited a friend to join us so Marcie would have another female to hang out with.  The friend backed out (I knew she would) but it made it more enjoyable for me and Marcie.

I had my backpack with my water, I carried hers as well and my camera.  We parked, noticing only one other car in the parking lot and we headed down the gravel path towards the woods.  Marcie had never been to this part of the park so I was excited to show her and see how her experience would be.

Much of the first 2 miles (we went 3.61 total) we were completely alone, except for a darting squirrel or songbirds and woodpeckers high above us making their presence known.  We chatted, but not much.  We both enjoyed the peace and calm of nature.  The paths below our feet had recently been cleared so the normal 1.5-footpath now had grown to 4+ feet in width.  I was also very surprised to see the areas normally bogged down with leaves and mud were completely dry and barren other than the compact dirt that snaked its way through the trees before us.

Eventually, as we were headed east and came across a lady crossing a bridge in front of us.  She was flailing her arms which I knew before she said to us “I cleared out all the spider webs for you.”  As she moved passed us (more than 6ft apart per social distance recommendations), she was still rubbing her arms and making a face not knowing if the spider who spent hours creating the web she quickly destroyed was still clinging to one of the webs stuck to her body.

We pushed on made our way up a hill, then back down towards the lake.  The sun was flashing through the trees as we walked in sort of a strobe light fashion.  As we approached the lake we could see on the other side a young man and woman making their way toward us, and quickly behind them a young female runner who passed them on the bridge we were approaching.  She made her way towards us, smiling and staying the more than 6ft apart per social distance recommendations.   Within another minute the young couple passed us and we made our way across the bridge and up the hill on the other side.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

We continued on and eventually saw a young lady with her puppy throwing a “hotdog” into the lake for his happy retrieval.  We stopped and chatted for a few minutes staying more than 6ft apart per social distance recommendations, then moved along.  As we approached the car, we were both tired and sweaty, but I was very happy my wife joined me today.  She got to see this magical place I have so often wrote about.

I will leave you with a quote that quantifies my trek this morning “Let’s take our hearts for a walk in the woods and listen to the magic whisper of old trees.” Author Unknown.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...