Skip to main content

Top Ten television shows

Recently I was looking for ideas for blog posts and was challenged by a reader to write a top ten favorite television shows.  Through clarification questions, she said these shows could be old or new, canceled or still running and I could even add shows that I liked a few seasons of then maybe didn’t care for later seasons.  She also asked for a ranking, but I am unsure I can do that as my top four could rotate at any time based on my mood.  I am also including mini-series.  These are in no particular order.  Click on the title to watch the trailer to each show:

Justified – This show ran six seasons, and ended perfectly.  The show was so well written, acted and the cast was perfect.  Growing up in Kentucky is what drew me to this Harlan based story, but the acting of Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins kept me interested.  For once the main character, or hero, was flawed.  He didn’t always win every battle but ultimately “got his man”.  This is a great show to binge.  The wild west (think Clint Eastwood) in modern times.

The Shield – Before the famous Sons and Anarchy and new series Mayans was The Shield.  The show ran from 2002-2008 for six seasons.  The show started slow but quickly cut its teeth.  In 2002 this show was shocking, but by today’s standards, it is calm.  It describes the main character as Al Capone with a badge.  Many of the actors from this show appear in the later SOA show.  Starring Michael Chiklis and Walton Goggins, I highly suggest giving this show a watch.  Finish season one before making a judgment call, please.

Battlestar Galactica (reboot) & Battlestar Galactica (original) – This is kind of cheating but the series had two runs.  The original from 1978-79 and the reboot from 2004-09.  Since the characters were the same (different actors), I am listing this as one entry.  The genre is Sci-Fi which I love, and I feel these series are so much better than what Star Wars or Star Trek ever produced.  You had one set of ‘good guys’ and one set of ‘bad guys’.  Both iterations had twists and turn unique to their series but the themes were the same.

All American – This show tackles (pun intended) a story of a high school player growing up in Crenshaw California.  His talent and some twisting of the rules allow him into transferring to Beverly Hills High where his social status, past, and upbringing cause tension between both locations (poor and rich).  Only in its second season, the show has gotten better with time.  Acting is not the best but the story is great and based on a true story.

Friday Night Lights – This ranks as a tied #1 on my list.  Such a powerful show.  I tear up watching even now.  It was Taylor Kitsch’s breakout role and has powerful acting from Kyle Chandler and beautiful Connie Britton and Minka Kelly.  In fictitious Dillion Texas, the only thing that matters is winning the state in high school football.  For the kids, and families that are the heart of their town.  Watch We Are Marshall if you want a movie version of this television drama (I don’t like the Friday Night Lights movie that much).

Seinfeld – Unless you have lived under a rock you have to have heard of this “show about nothing”.  The comedy and lasting inserts are woven into our culture (no soup for you, Festivus, yadda yadda yadda, Elanie’s dance) shows the power this show had.  My favorite clip for the show sums up the silliness yet comic genius that made this show last.

Yellowstone – This show recently completed season two and has been picked up for season three already.  It is a story of a rancher who owns 240,000+ acres between Yellowstone and an Indian reservation in Montana.  Kevin Costner leads a cast of very talented actors that you can read about in a previous blog.

Magnum p.i. – This icon show from the 80’s ranks as a tie for #1 with Yellowstone, Supernatural, Friday Night Lights and Band of Brothers.  Growing up my cousin Tom had the ‘stache’ like Magnum and I loved the allure of driving a Ferrari, living in paradise and having the adventures Thomas Magnum did in the show.  It influenced me so much that Season 4 episode 1 (Home from the Sea) planted the seed of fear of the ocean for me that still haunts me today.

Band of Brothers – This is the best mini-series ever.  No debate.  It is an award-winning mini-series about World War 2 Easy Company following the very first Airborne Division as they entered the war at famous European excursions.  Similar to the power of the movie Saving Private Ryan, I watch this every year and get very emotional every time I watch it.  Grab the tissues, watch all 10 episodes (bear with episode one as it is a setup for the rest of them), and turn off all distractions.  If you do not love this, you do not have a heart.

Supernatural – I began watching this show in 2008 in its second season.  This year is the shows final season, ending with season fifteen.  As I love horror this show deals with every scary creature imaginable with two brothers quest for “saving people, hunting things, the family business.”   Over the years the show has had so many famous actors appear on the show such as Jeffrey Dean Morgen, Paris Hilton, Sterling K. Brown, Finn Wolfhard, Richard Speight Jr., Lauren Cohen, Adrianne Palicki, Mitch Pileggi, Ty Olsson, DJ Qualls, and countless others.  The show mixes great acting, drama, comedy and over the years I have invested in the characters and enjoyed the individual stories.  It is a huge investment to watch but well worth it.

Bonus: Longmire – Like Yellowstone, this is a current-day western but based out of Wyoming.  The show ran three years on AMC then was picked up by Netflix for the final three seasons.  Like The Shield above this show takes time to dig in and grab you.  A season or season and a half are where it begins to get good.  The main character (Sherriff Walt Longmire) is similar to Rayland Givins from Justified and Mackie from The Shield.  They try to stay within the law to get the bad guy but sometimes their methods go outside the law.  All three main characters are flawed and don’t always win the battles, but win the war ultimately.  Please give this a watch and don’t dismiss it a few episodes in.  Watching a season or season and a half will make it worth it.

Some that didn’t make my top ten but I still love are Sanford & Son, Ed, The Gates, The Walking Dead (first couple of seasons), Chernobyl, Outsiders.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim