Skip to main content

New direction

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

Today is Friday, December 27, 2019.  I am off work and decided to go on a short hike.  I hit up my old standby Mount Saint Francis.  I needed some time to myself.  I had a decision to make.

Our area is unusually warm for late December, with the temperature already at 52 degrees at 8 am.  I parked and headed my usual route.  The air was crisp and cool and today as I would later discover I was alone with my camera and my thoughts for almost all of the hike.  After a few days of “family” time, I had to get out and release all the anxiety and stress that built up from following holiday traditions.

I recently bought a new camera and after using a few outings I have decided to change directions with my photography.  I needed today’s hike to work out the details and decisions in my mind.  This is a benefit nature always provides me.  A way to cut through the fog and clear my head.

I have decided to shot most of my pictures in a style and replication of older film styles from the 1970s.  Compared to today’s standards my pictures will appear faded, a bit fuzzy and vintage, which is my ultimate goal.  This is how I see most things.  I am not a fan of bright colors.  Today’s hike provided the best backdrop and I even took it as a sign from God that this was the right decision.  Gone are the day of tack sharp photos.  Grain and fuzziness are my new friends (see above).

The slight mist, muted colors and dull colors I saw today added to the atmosphere and mood I was feeling.  For most this might be uninspiring, but for me, I was energized, at least emotionally.  My body was rebelling and three miles was all I could muster today, but it was enough.

To quote John Muir “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”  This is true every time I get out.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim