Skip to main content

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I have been asked a few times by my friend Troy and a few others about my photography.  Troy has inquired about particular photos and asked me what I was feeling when I shot, what I am trying to convey and even what was my mood or emotion of a particular photo?  I read an article the other day that got me thinking about this so I decided to write about it.

This is about photography so move along if you have no interest in it.

Simple questions when it comes to my photography can be easily answered.  Especially for those who follow me on Instagram.  I love nature, especially trees and leaves in the fall and winter, love architecture, and love street photography (though I am still really new at it).  What I dislike is shooting people, particularly posed.  A great street shot is one thing, but family, senior, portrait, kid’s photography bores me.  I also have no desire to shoot wildlife such as birds or any other basic animal seen often.  I like what I like and do not fault others for what they shoot, but this is about me.

I also tend to lean toward monochrome shots (black and white).  I learned photography in high school and we shot film (which I developed) for our school paper and yearbook.  I used monochrome film so my natural instinct is to shoot that way.  If I shoot color it tends to be muted colors.

The classic saying is “A picture is worth a thousand words.”  I have often thought my pictures are meant to tell a story.  To reveal something to the viewer.  The more I shoot the more I realize what my role is in my photography and what the role of the viewer is.  Simply put I shoot what I see that draws my attention or interest.  I don’t shoot to tell a viewer a story.  It is not my purpose to convey a story.  I interpret my shots the way I want and anyone viewing them gets their own story from them.

If I gave you a book and the main character was not described (appearance) in that book, you would create that image in your mind of how they look.  If I gave that same book to 10 other people they would do the same.  If asked to describe that character or draw the main character there would likely get a different version from everyone.  That is how I feel about photography.  I take my pictures, and the viewers interpret how they want (good or bad).

If you want to read the article that inspired this post click here.

I will leave with a recent shot I took.  When I took this I was feeling…., I was thinking…., I wanted to convey…

That is for you to decide.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...