Skip to main content

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I have been asked a few times by my friend Troy and a few others about my photography.  Troy has inquired about particular photos and asked me what I was feeling when I shot, what I am trying to convey and even what was my mood or emotion of a particular photo?  I read an article the other day that got me thinking about this so I decided to write about it.

This is about photography so move along if you have no interest in it.

Simple questions when it comes to my photography can be easily answered.  Especially for those who follow me on Instagram.  I love nature, especially trees and leaves in the fall and winter, love architecture, and love street photography (though I am still really new at it).  What I dislike is shooting people, particularly posed.  A great street shot is one thing, but family, senior, portrait, kid’s photography bores me.  I also have no desire to shoot wildlife such as birds or any other basic animal seen often.  I like what I like and do not fault others for what they shoot, but this is about me.

I also tend to lean toward monochrome shots (black and white).  I learned photography in high school and we shot film (which I developed) for our school paper and yearbook.  I used monochrome film so my natural instinct is to shoot that way.  If I shoot color it tends to be muted colors.

The classic saying is “A picture is worth a thousand words.”  I have often thought my pictures are meant to tell a story.  To reveal something to the viewer.  The more I shoot the more I realize what my role is in my photography and what the role of the viewer is.  Simply put I shoot what I see that draws my attention or interest.  I don’t shoot to tell a viewer a story.  It is not my purpose to convey a story.  I interpret my shots the way I want and anyone viewing them gets their own story from them.

If I gave you a book and the main character was not described (appearance) in that book, you would create that image in your mind of how they look.  If I gave that same book to 10 other people they would do the same.  If asked to describe that character or draw the main character there would likely get a different version from everyone.  That is how I feel about photography.  I take my pictures, and the viewers interpret how they want (good or bad).

If you want to read the article that inspired this post click here.

I will leave with a recent shot I took.  When I took this I was feeling…., I was thinking…., I wanted to convey…

That is for you to decide.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim