Skip to main content

Upon my death

Today’s post may be a bit morbid to some but I made what I feel is an honorable decision. It was my choice and I am proud I made it.

As I get older I have often thought of my mortality and how I want my life to be celebrated. Part of that stems from my good friend’s loss of his father recently. I read the obituary for his father and decided at that moment I wanted to follow in his footsteps.

After some soul searching and research, I spoke to my wife and decided to donate my body to the University of Indiana Anatomical Education Program, which is part of the Indiana University Medical School. The program authorizes “the acquisition and distribution of donated human remains as well as the formulation of standards for the use of donated human remains.”

After filling out a small form, getting it signed by two witnesses and mailing it back, then I will be approved. Upon death, Marcie or Gavin will call a number, answer two medical questions and IU will arrange transportation, embalming, notify Social Security and assist in filing paperwork (death certificate, etc.). After they are through with me they will cremate me and per my request send my ashes back to Marcie or Gavin.

My body will be used for the education of young doctors, and I cannot think of anything more honorable. However, there is a religious conflict I have to take into account.

Growing up Catholic, I have tried to follow the ways of the religion but have often strayed from some of them for various personal beliefs and reasons. Researching this topic again, I found out as a Catholic I can only have one mass, and that ashes must be buried not scattered unless approved by the church.

I will work out the intimate details with my wife but have decided to forego a Catholic mass after my death, and indeed do want my ashes scattered not buried (still deciding on a location but likely one of 3 places). I would like a small marker placed somewhere, but no formal burial or grand ceremonial process to go with it. I also want to decline the reading of a eulogy. Writing one is okay with me. If Marcie or Gavin does have a gathering (I don’t see the necessity), I must insist people come dressed casually. No ties, or suits. I do however want my pictures to be displayed. Not pictures of me, but of the ones I have taken. An electronic display of my work can scroll in a loop, but I would also like 25 of my best pictures printed as 8×10, framed, hung and then given away after the celebration (if there is one).

My decisions and my wishes are in writing. As I put more thought into this I may change my mind on certain aspects, but not donating my body to science. If you never thought about donating your body, at least consider it. To me, it is an honor to help educate others after I am gone.

Until next time

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim