Skip to main content

Spirit of Jasper

Saturday night I took my wife, and two friends to meet two other friends on a dinner train for about an hour from our house.  I love old trains and hope to someday take one across part of the United States.

The Spirit of Jasper is located in Jasper Indiana.  You can read about the train’s history, location and excursions they provide.  I am here to write about my experience.

The town and train depot as mentioned is roughly an hour from our house.  We picked up our friends at 4:15 pm and headed west.  The trip went along the interstate, then off through a small town and countryside until we reached the small town of Jasper.  Whenever I leave the bigger towns like New Albany, Jeffersonville or Corydon and venture out into the rural areas my brain always leads me to John Mellencamp’s song Small Town.

Arriving we unloaded and I saw my friend Shawn and Tracie.  I had lunch recently but had not seen Tracie in quite a while.  We exchanged hellos, and I introduced them to our passengers Laurie and Kenny.  I then left to get our tickets.  Upon return, we stood in line and began getting to know each other (well they did as Marcie and I knew everyone in the group).  I shared commonalities between Shawn and Kenny (fishing) and the ladies talked about some things themselves.  Soon we made our way on the train and found our spots at the reserved table.

We sat and saw four mini wine glasses in front of each of us as well as six chocolate balls from Chocolate Bliss, neatly wrapped in a clear container.  We began to talk, share stories of our background (we all grew up within a few miles of each other except Tracie).  We shared stories of place we used to “hang”, a place we used to eat, schools we went too and Shawn/Tracie, began to see why we like Laurie/Kenny and vice versa.

The awkward moments were deciding when to dig into the chocolate but finally, someone at the table started and the rest of us followed suit.  Shortly the wine samples were delivered and the conversations got livelier and more funnier.  I drank my water and gave my samples to my wife or Laurie who gladly accepted them.

Soon dinner was served and we were an offer, beef brisket, grilled chicken, roasted potatoes, mixed veggies, green beans, a roll, and salad.   It was concluded with chocolate lasagna (aka. dirt cake).

With our bellies full and the loud ladies behind us deciding to move to another car, we were able to talk in relative peace.  We swapped stories, Shawn entertained us as he has done for me and Marcie for 35+ years, and we enjoyed each other’s company.  Ironically not a cell phone came out or was checked for almost the entire 2.5 train ride.  Something we discussed as well.  It was truly wonderful.  I loved the group I was with and Shawn (one of my oldest friends – years of knowing him), always has this knack of putting me at ease.  Though we are 3 years apart and have different parents, he and I have a language that I feel is similar to twins and the way they communicate.  Throughout the night he would lean over and whisper some things to me that only he and I share.  Nothing bad or sneaky, just the way our relationship is and has always been.

The evening flew by and soon we were up and departing the train.  The conductor shook my hand and said: “We have a parting gift for you at the bottom of the ramp.”  We were each given a beautiful Spirit of Jasper wine glass.

We said our goodbyes, gave hugs and loaded up in our vehicles for the drive home.  I followed Shawn and Tracie while Laurie and Marcie drifted off in the back of our car, Kenny and I continued to talk about various things, including “I didn’t know you and Shawn had such a long past together.”  Shawn is my brother, and I was so happy he and Tracie got to meet our newer friends.  I hope that is one of many outings together.

Until next time

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim