Skip to main content

Relationship over

Today is my 20th wedding anniversary and I am ending a relationship that has not shown me much benefit.  Well, let’s say less positive benefits and more negative benefits.  I am invested but it is time to move on.

I am not talking about the relationship my wife and I have.  It has been a glorious and wonderful 20 years of marriage and a few more years of courting and friendship before that.  I am talking about my relationship with Facebook.  On September 15th I decided I had had enough of the negativity and am deactivating my account.  In the past I have deactivated it a few times, only to go back in a few days or a week or so, but this time I leaped to cut the tie and end it permanently.

Upon deletion of the account, Facebook gives you a 30-day notice that the account will be deleted.  I term this either cooling off or change your mind phase.  Within those 30 days, you can simply sign in and restart the account.  I am in that period as I am writing this.  So what happens on October 16th?  I am hoping I will no longer exist in the Facebook world.  I will however still live on the internet for eternity.

So why did I decide to do this?  There is a multitude of reasons.  First, I found myself spending endless amounts of time daily scrolling through the feed of “friends” that I have not had any contact within decades. The scrolling provided little benefit and wasted time for me.  Next, and probably the most important, is the massive amount of negativity on there.  There is the political aspect (I have “friends” that think Trump/Bevin/McConnell are the devil and others who think they walk on water).  Next is the religious aspect.  I am a non-practicing Catholic, but still, celebrate my Christianity in my way.  Again “friends” who use every opportunity to attack the Catholic Church when they can, and others who ‘preach’ that religion is the only thing that matters and solves every problem.  Then there is a sexual orientation.  I have LGBT “friends” on Facebook (some I have known for decades and some for a handful of years), and of course, those that don’t support that lifestyle due to religion, fear, or lack of knowledge.  I can say I have unfriended most of the homophobic “friends” I had.  Finally, the elections are coming quickly.  The platform will be so heavily for or against one side or the other, it will be head spinning.  So I’m done.

I was told why don’t you unfriend or block those that are causing the negativity.  Some of those people that are negative also provide many nuggets of positive material and wisdom.  For me, it is best to just let it all go.  I’m out.

I will miss many of the photographers, and groups I follow, or shall I say followed, on Facebook, but as I continue to use Instagram and YouTube, I will be able to get what I need from these photographers.  I will not miss the political rants, racism ramblings, pictures of what people had for lunch/dinner, or everyone’s ‘entitled’ opinion about everything.  October 16th is my first day of parole from Facebook.  I am happy and don’t think I will miss it.

Until next time

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim