Skip to main content

First hike of the season

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

For the first time since April 6th, I hit the trail, more specifically Mount St. Francis.  Within minutes it felt like my old favorite pair of jeans or a long embrace from my wife.  There are very few things that bring such comfort to me. I was back in my happy place, and my mind and soul knew it.

I arrived in the parking lot a few minutes before 8 am, unloaded and headed down my normal route toward the lake.  The air had a sweet smell and my lungs filled with the cool 34-degree air I was surrounded by.  The air was almost electric and the stimulation on my bare arms and face was so refreshing.  I was chilled, only wearing a short-sleeve shirt and pants, but I knew once I crossed the lake my body would be warm, and I was right.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

My mind needed this today, my soul needed this today, but my body, which also needed it, fought me the whole time.  My legs were stiff and tight, my pace was slower than normal, yet my breathing was fairly smooth all things considered.  I think the rolling fog and moisture in the air, helped my lungs stay in a rhythmic rather effortless sequence.

After a half-mile on the trail, I found myself climbing a hill and going deeper into the woods.  This is the place my mind began to slow down and my body (stress-wise) dropped significantly.  I recalled a conversation I had the evening before with another creative mind.  We talked specifically about her outlets and what she does to slow her mind down.  Outlets such as hiking, blogging, and shooting (photos), are all forms of release for me.  I have found nothing else that can do these things for me.

I didn’t hike far.  2.85 miles to be exact but for 95% of the trek, I was alone.  I loved it.  I took in my surroundings and enjoyed the quiet I was in.  The only sounds I heard was an occasional squirrel running across my path, or a pair of whitetail deer that felt I was too close as they scampered off in the distance.  There was also the thud of my feet on the dirt path and rustling of the leaves beneath my boots.  As mentioned earlier my legs were heavy and my hips tight, but I persevered.

A few of the paths had been excavated and were slightly different, but the surroundings were so familiar.  With the recent drought, the creek and even the lake that was on the property was extremely low.  I was also still surrounded by a blanket of green.  Little change in the colors appeared other than what I witnessed below me.

I shot a few things but today’s trek was meant for processing.  I had a lot floating around in my mind, and nature provided the canvas to allow me to sort, process, create and organize my brain and thoughts.  I began slightly on edge and left in a surreal sense of calm.

It is the beginning of my hiking season.  I am so excited.  I plan to hike much more than I have in the past, and now have a buddy (Mark) who is willing to go with me as much as he can.  This will help motivate me, but also Mark knows the appropriate level of talking we can do to put us both at ease.  Our conversations have depth and substance to me, not just idle chatter, or as I am used to in the real world attempts to fill dead air.

Above is the route I took today.  I have also included a few shots from today.  I just wish I could display what the hike did for me internally, but I guess this post will have to suffice.

Until next time

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim