Skip to main content

Tim Bindner



Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

On this my 51st birthday (at the time this post came out), I figured I would also answer the questions I had asked many others to do.  This may provide some insight into why and what I shoot.

In high-school (I don’t remember the specific year), I was asked if I want to be a photographer for our school newspaper and yearbook.  I said yes, was handed a Fuji camera, some film and given assignments to go shoot.  We shot Fuji or Nikon cameras and either Fuji or Kodak 35mm film.  I learned to process and develop my film (monochrome only) and regularly had shots in our newsletter.  It was there that I discovered a love for photography, though it would take decades to realize it.

After high school, I went to college, graduated and started a family and career.  I took shots rarely with my phone, but in 2015, my wife, son, and mother-in-law took a trip to Maine.  I only had a Samsung phone to shoot with, but the fire for photography was rekindled.  Upon our return home, I convinced my wife to let me buy a camera (I have a habit of wanting to do something, buy the gear/equipment, only to lose interest later).  In 2015 I bought a Nikon D3200 and started learning how to shoot again.  I had a kit lens (18-55mm) and purchased a zoom lens (18-200mm) for the Nikon.

I admit after the newness of that camera wore off, I found myself not taking that many pictures.  Consequently, the camera sat on the shelf a lot.  I did, however, start listening to podcasts, watching YouTube and started learning Photoshop.  This kept the passion burning even though there I was not out shooting much.  During this time I was also trying to discover my ‘look’, mainly by learning what appealed to me when looking at other photographs.  A podcaster I follow switched from Canon to Fuji (XT-1) and began raving about it.  Especially the weight of the camera and the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) aspect when taking shots.  With the Nikon, I would take shots, think I nailed them later in post-processing see my technical errors.  I went to a local camera store picked up the Fuji XT-1, took some shots at the shop and returned home with a memory card (my own) with sample pictures I took.  I was blown away.  It confirmed, partially anyway, that I could take some good shots with the right gear.

I again convinced my wife to let me try Fuji with the condition I sell my other gear, so I did.  It was not long after I had a Fuji XT-1 (August 18, 2016) in my hand and I was hooked.  The camera rarely sat on the shelf, and my knowledge and experience grew with that camera.  The camera esthetics were so similar to what I used in high-school it was an easy transition for me.   I have since upgraded to a Fuji XT-2, and X100F, but my favorite camera will always be the XT-1 as it sparked my renewed interest in photography.

Websitetimothybme.com

Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/timothybme/

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/timothybme

Twitterhttps://twitter.com/TimothyBindner

Which is your favorite lens? – Of the three lenses I own, it would be the Yashica 50mm F/2.  I think the Fuji 35mm F/2 is a close second.  For me, both the 35 and the 50 are the perfect focal length.  It represents how I see normally.  Also being primes any zoom has to be done with my legs.  One other aspect that I enjoy is my 50mm is a fully manual focus, thus challenging me even more.  If I had to choose just one as the question asks, it would be a “nifty fifty”.

What is your favorite style of shooting? – No doubt it is landscape, especially trees.  I especially like finding those trees with no leaves and branches that resemble arms and fingers.  These are best found in winter.  I tend to lean toward monochrome shooting as well.  Street/architecture is a close second, again in monochrome.  The lines are what appeals to me.  I gravitate to anything that is not moving or considered action (animals, birds, sports, kids, cars, etc.).  Any inanimate object may catch my eye.

Among the gadgets that you own, is there something that you wish you hadn’t bought? – I think starting I wanted to get a bunch of lenses for different occasions. I quickly learned that this was a huge expense, and not very efficient for me, but a more minimal approach helps me gain experience and grow my photographic eye.  I also know my limits.  I know, for example, large zooms would not be something I use or enjoy.  So specifically I would say any long zooms I had with my Nikon and Fuji.  I learned from ‘wasted’ purchases, so I cannot say I wish I hadn’t bought them as they taught me something.

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures? – Basically in three ways.  First, I shoot.  The more I do the more I learn what I can do, what I enjoy, and what I need to improve.  Next, I utilize YouTube, 500px, Podcasts, and Instagram to learn and ‘study’ other photographers I respect.  I learn composing tips, subject ideas, and techniques by looking at other photographers’ shots.  I also go on photo walks with friends.  We learn on the fly from each other.  Lastly, I create my challenges or do ones I have heard about.  In 2016 I took a picture a day for 366 days (leap year).  It was not as easy as it sounds.  Other challenges have to include shapes, subjects of a certain letter, and doing portraits that I feel uneasy at.  Those three methods have helped get me where I am thus far.  It will be an ever-changing method of growth, but I think these will be my main teachers.

Whose work has influenced you most? – This is tough for me to answer.  I draw inspiration for many photographers.  Ones I know, and others I have never met.  At the moment it would have to be from two different people.  Mark Wilcoxson and Chris Kasari.  Chris has helped me see lines, especially leading lines, and Mark enhances my views of nature with his waterfalls and tree shots.  I also draw influence from Ansel Adams, Gareth Danks, Chris Sale, Sean Tucker, Neale James, Kevin Mullins, James R Burns, Thomas Heaton, Tom Stoddart, Darcy Padilla, Joao Silva, Phillip Jones Griffiths, Simon Baxter, and a few others regularly.  As mentioned above, there are a few people I follow on Instagram, that also help educate and influence me.

What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos? – It is the same thing that my recent interview with Gareth Danks revealed.  It is to slow down, compose and plan.  When I shot in high-school, and then later picking it back up in 2015, I saw something and quickly shot it.  I would crop later or plan to adjust whatever was needed in Lightroom or another app, but I learned to challenge myself to slow down and compose my shot.  To try and capture what caught my eye, whether it was a subject, light, or something abstract.  I guess that is the main reason I don’t like action shots now, as mentioned above.  I am still a bit impatient but have learned to try and spend more time composing and planning shots out before I just snap away.  I am the opposite of a spray shooter.

For me regardless of someone’s shooting style, I think great photographers can provide valuable tips to help anyone.    I draw my inspiration from all types of photographers, who shoot various styles.  My goal someday is to help others learn what I hope to eventually learn.  I want to eventually be able to portray a story or project one with my shots.

I’ll end with a quote from Bruce Lee “Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim