Skip to main content

James R Burns

Photo by: James R Burns

My first interview was with Chris Sale.  Today’s interview is with a friend of his named James R Burns.  As I have done with many of the people I have interviewed, I discovered James by accident.  I’m glad I did.

James is predominantly a landscape photographer.  There are many out there, but I am drawn to James’ work for a different reason.  His videos.  YouTube is so saturated with gear talk, settings, reviews, etc. that James brings a fresh new perspective with his messages.  He talks about mood, lighting, composition, why he shoots, being selective and even shares his failures (a rarity in this world these days).

James does sprinkle in information about his lens and settings he uses but with a purpose of why he is using them, not for technical reasons.  Not gear talk, but explaining his goal for a shot and what he feels is the best setting at that moment to capture his vision.

James hikes to all his locations, and from what I can see, many times they are long hikes.  His videos show him in all sorts of weather, like heavy rain, snow (my favorite), fog, and of course sunny.  He has done videos on using what you have, and even not taking shots due to the wrong conditions.

Next, there is that hat.  He is known for wearing hats.  In his latest video, he bought a new one, but I have rarely seen him without one on.  I guess they are sort of a calling card for him.

Finally, it is his voice.  I follow many English and Scottish YouTubers, but James’ voice is unique.  I will admit with my Kentucky/Indiana ears I sometimes have trouble understanding him, but a few rewinds I always got the message he was portraying.  Regardless he is very compelling and his messages are very insightful.

As I mentioned before he is friends with Chris Sale and in fact, they have done a few videos together.  As always I highly recommend taking a look at his links below and his YouTube channel.

My Website – Portfolio – James R Burns Photography

YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEH3f52FXNM00ErEMPvw_xA

Twitter – https://twitter.com/JamesRBurns2

Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/james_r_burns/

Which is your favorite lens?

I do not have a favourite lens but I do like the choice of either my Canon 16-35 F4L IS if the location lends itself to some foreground interest. I like how the lens distorts at its largest focal length bringing the foreground into the composition. My Canon 70-200 f4L is often a go-to lens with my love of mountain photography and struggling to find foreground interest. I love how it simplifies a scene and makes life easier. On reflection, I have adapted how I work and the compositions I choose with the lens I have in my bag. I have never come across a scene and composition when I have wished I had a different lens.

What is your favorite style of shooting?

As a hiker of the fells in the Lake District, I have a passion for shooting mountains with their ever-changing conditions and drama they bring. I often shoot and hike alone and the solitude this genre of landscape photography brings is very refreshing for the mind. I love adding mood and atmosphere into my images and the unpredictable weather has led to some great moments. I have found especially recently that I take a lot longer with grabbing the right scene but so often the conditions change quickly that I have failed to nail a shot.

Among the gadgets that you own, is there something that you wish you hadn’t bought?

I am not really a gadget man but I have found that the gear I have bought within the last couple of years for my videography has been replaced with improved equipment such as my audio recording device. I have never regretted something I have bought as I have always found a use for them but as I find easier ways to do things, I replace as I go along.

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures?

I often review my images when not out shooting and cringe when looking back at some of my older work. These days when I am out in the field I try to look ahead and envision what the end product would be after post-processing. This has led to mistakes however as I have found that what I am seeing in the field, doesn’t translate to the same thing when back in front of the computer screen. I remember these errors and take them forward the next time I am shooting. I have slowed down a lot now since I first started landscape photography. The simple reason for this is that I used to come home with a fairly large number of images, the majority of which didn’t work. I have grown far more critical of my own work lately and thankfully now, my experience is being brought into the field when it matters.

Whose work has influenced you most?

I have always been an admirer of Charlie Waite and Joe Cornish. Their work to me epitomizes landscape photography. These two were especially influential when I was starting out back in 2007. Their simple compositions and use of light will always be the forefront of my mind. I have recently joined Twitter and discovered a whole new world of amazing talent. Mark Littlejohn is a wonderful photographer and his work is close to my heart as his shots are predominantly of the Lake District, especially Ulswater where we work on the Steamboats. The light and compositions he captures are just stunning and so often just with his phone. It is hard to name them all but certainly the likes of Neil Burnell, Karl Mortimer, Stuart McGlennon and Greg Whitton. Greg has especially had an influence on me having had the pleasure of shooting with him and sharing work on social media. I believe it is down to him that I have shot more compositions with foreground interest and in a portrait orientation, using nature’s lines.

What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos?

There are several but I’ll list two. The importance of knowing your gear and how to use it. For me, the composition is key and I do not want to be in the field fumbling around my camera dials and missing the shot. Secondly, there is more to landscape photography than sunrises and sunsets. They are overrated and often lead to disappointment. You can find a good shot during the day, especially if the conditions are favourable.

I want to thank James for taking some of his valuable time to answer my questions.  I hope you will take a look at his work, and as always I learn a little with every interview I receive.   His landscape work has helped me look at things a bit different, and added something else to my toolkit to help make me a better photographer.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim