Skip to main content

A Walk In The Woods - part 4 (final)

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

Day 4;

Today was to be the epic day.  We were going to tackle Grandfather Mountain.  As we hit the BRP the weather was in the low forties and the wind was blowing quite strong.  There was a spot famous for shots of the BRP and Mark wanted to see if we can get the shot as well.   This location is called the Linn Cove Viaduct.  We pulled off on the side hopped out and immediately were being cut through by the wind.  We walked by the viaduct and made our way to this iconic spot.  We took several shots, and I pointed out a large rock across the street.  Before I knew it Mark ran across the parkway and was climbing the rock for a better angle and he got the shot.  The cold didn’t keep us there for long and we soon were back in the protection of the Jeep and on our way to Grandfather Mountain.  As we arrived the winds were still strong and the person at the gate told us the “top was closed due to high winds”.  We were given the option to go in for half price ($11.00) with the hope that the winds would calm down and we could go up, or turn around and head-on.  We did option one.  We went to the lower visitor center, I bought a t-shirt, and we looked at the mini zoo they have, then decided to leave as the forecast showed no sign of letting up.  This is what we missed.  It just means I have to go back another time.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

We left and headed to Damascus Virginia.  Mark thought I’d like this small town (population 810), and he was right.  We pulled in, parked and walked down the road to the Virginia Creeper Trail.  We joined the trail and walked across an old converted train bridge (avoiding bicycles along the way) until we reached a small park.  At the park, we investigated a town map when I was approached by a local police officer Kermit Turner (4th picture, also the Fire Chief I guess).  As we talked I asked where the Appalachian Trail was.  He grinned, said stand over here (next to him), I stepped forward onto a gravel path.  He then said, “you are on it”.  We spent 30+ minutes talking to him.  He explained how the town went from a population of 810 with four officers to a crowd of 21,000+ on Trail Days.  He explained all that was involved in policing the area, the designated area for 21+-year-old hikers (tent city), and the designated family area (where we standing) and that any alcohol that was present in “this area” automatically gets a ticket and likely jail.  “This is the family area, down there is a tent city.”  He was very welcoming and enjoyable to talk to.  I hope to go back here, just not during Trail Days.  We walked down the AT, turned right and headed down the sidewalk into town and back towards the Jeep.  As I looked down at my feet I saw bricks with names on them and an AT sign.  We were still on the trail as it cut through the town before heading back into the woods.  Bucket list item continued.

Our final sight of the day had me climbing rock stairs and walking across a road about 100 feet up.  We were at Backbone Rock.  Mark told me the story of how this was carved out for a train and when the train eventually came the smokestack was too tall so they hand-carved the extra notch at the top so the train could go through.  Mark and I climbed the stairs, I gingerly walked across the top and then Mark decided to walk down the other side.  The stairs were too narrow for my comfort so I went back the way I came and met him back at the Jeep.  I found out when I got down there that there was a section he sat down and slid down for fear of falling.  Glad I went the way I did.  Before we left I even captured some local wildlife who were kind enough to pose for this picture below.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

 

Day 5;

Mark and I drove from Kentucky to Tennessee to Virginia and back again to the Cumberland Gap.  No there was no drinking involved, the location of our hotel was in Middlesboro, KY, and in the area, there is the intersection of three states mentioned above.  We drove 2 miles to a small town to once again take pictures of a beautiful waterfall.  By doing so we crossed TN, KY, and VA.  This was Sunday morning and even for a small town, it was a bit eerie.  We were completely alone.  We parked, walked around, took pictures, drove to the waterfall, parked, took shots, returned and left and finally saw one guy running with his dog.  It was a small town.

Our journey home was a somber one.  We were both tired but relished the time together.  We spent the 3.5-hour drive talking about the trip, about our family, about upcoming trips (for him) and the possibility of another one together (if his wife lets him).  North Carolina captured my soul.  I was so happy to spend that time with Mark.  My anxiety left me.  I am not sure if the mountains kept it or not.  I hope they did.  I will be revising my travel Bucket List to include at least one location from my trip (likely Black Balsam Knob).

For those of you who enjoy sandy beaches, amusement parks, and overcrowded popular destinations have at it.  My buddy and I enjoyed the solitude of the mountains.  We saw things no-one else will ever see, and though the BRP is very popular, we had it mostly to ourselves.  For that, I am so appreciative.  For me the weather was perfect (a bit cold for Mark), but regardless nothing damped either of our spirits.  It energized mine.  I found my Heaven/Valhalla (on Earth), and I hope to return there again.

If you ever meet Mark be sure to ask him if Soco Falls made an impact on him, or how great peanut butter and jelly on a bagel tastes on the BRP, his explanation of gear acquisition syndrome is, or his recommendation for a picture with me and a buffalo.  True moments like these are ones to cherish.  I will look on this trip fondly for years.  Thank you, Mark, for planning this, driving and bringing me to all these places.

I will leave you with a quote that applies to me and my recent struggles “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim