Skip to main content

Neale James

Today’s post will spotlight a photographer I sadly recently discovered.  It’s sad because I had wished I had found him sooner.  Patience for those who wait, right?

As mentioned in a previous post part of my journey with photography is not strictly taking photographs but also discovering other photographers who I learn from, be inspired by and in Neale’s case, also listen to.  Much of Neale’s work is wedding photography which is something I do not do, but I think a true photographer can admire and learn from other’s work even if it is not the style they normally shoot.  Both Neale and Kevin Mullins do what is called or coined documentary photography.  This is simply non-posed photography.  Neale will cover this more in the second question below.

I am a big fan of Kevin Mullins and I recently discovered a podcast that both Kevin and Neale do together called Fujicast.  It can be found here and also is referenced below.  As a Fuji shooter, I initially started listening to learn about Fuji gear and get tips in tricks.  I learned early on that this podcast is geared towards photographers, no matter what they shoot, not just Fujifilm cameras.  The podcasts are generally an hour, or longer, but I find listening to Neale and Kevin discuss topics, styles, thoughts and even gear, the time flies by quickly.  There is also that fact that they have British accents, something I am not used to here in Indiana.  After quickly catching up on the Fujicast podcasts (9 at the time of this writing), I quickly found myself seeking out Neale’s other podcast site called breathe pictures.  What a great name!  As there are many more podcasts on there I am still catching up, but thus far they are simply brilliant.

Once I admire someone’s work then I start to look through their catalog (website, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)  In this case, I was so taken by two videos Neale produced on YouTube that I knew I needed to reach out to him.  The first was one where he interviews Giles Penfound.  The whole video had me sucked in but one thing I have shared recently with a life-long friend I have been helping become a better photographer was stated in this video.  Specifically from 9:43 – 10:30.  The rest of the video appeals to my intrigue with conflict photography.  This is a powerful video in the words of the actual photographer.

The second video had a strong message that Neale brilliantly brings forth.  The video tells of Neale’s rejection at trying to get on the radio.  The rejections amaze me (listen to his voice), but none the less he tried and was rejected over and over, but ultimately it got him to where he is today.  The message of perseverance and beliefs resound within this video.  There are even deeper messages in the video.  Watch it, you will understand!

After listening to podcasts and starting into his videos I took a chance and contacted Neale on Facebook with the request to send him some questions to answer.  He stated he was honoured and within a day I got the responses below.  Please do me a personal favor and check out his Instagram, Youtube and listen to his podcasts.  Even if you are not into photography his messages cover more than just photography.  There is a lot of relevant life lessons there.

Neale James

www.nealejames.com (Social and wedding work)

www.breathepictures.com (My film and podcast site)

www.fujicast.co.uk  – The website for a podcast I present about Fujifilm cameras with Ambassador Kevin Mullins.

YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/nealejamesphoto/videos

Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/nealejames/

Favourite lens: I’m going to go for a focal length rather than the actual branded lens since I swapped full time from Canon to Fujifilm last year. In full-frame terms, the 85mm focal length is a real favourite, though let me think for a moment more, it’d be a close battle with a 35mm focal length. I think 85 still edges down to the sheer emotional frames I’ve captured using it. It’s not so long that it feels like I’m ‘papping’ from a distance, so retains some kind of feeling of intimacy with the subject. It’s a great focal length for making portraits too. Recently I had a trial run with the 50mm Fujinon lens, which is equivalent 77mm in FF terms.

Favourite style of shooting: Without doubt a storytelling style. My strength is not really in posing and I’m quite ambivalent to over stage managed and contrived positions. I think my photography is stronger if I am being reactionary. I know that that’s the kind of photography I enjoy viewing of other peoples’ work too.

Among the gadgets you own, is there something that you wish you had not bought? I don’t like to think of the gadgets I’ve wasted money on that I didn’t need. A full Steadicam rig would certainly be up there. I’ll be the first to admit they have their place in the hands of the right user, but I just didn’t really need one. I use a small gimbal now for steadying my cameras, but then tech has made this possible.

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures? I consume photography articles online. I also watch a lot of documentaries and YouTube films, made by or about photographers I admire. I believe in the power of workshops, though you have to choose carefully these days. I always advise new photographers to go listen to photographers speak at conferences and trade shows. That way you get to listen to qualified photographers for modest fees and by qualification, I mean the fact they are traveled in their genre and are able to truly read their subject.

Who has influenced me the most? It’s not necessarily going to be a household name this one. Of course, there could well be a long list of those and it’s true to say there are many photographers whose work I enjoy thoroughly. My influence though comes from a photographer in my home town called Giles Penfound. He is a former British Army Chief Photographer and his creative storytelling eye is superb. But he’s also a generous man in terms of the time he has given me over the decade and a bit I have known him. His support and encouragement have driven me to believe in what I do. I think we know each other so well now that we’re sounding boards for each other’s’ work, though I always appreciate his experience and wealth of back catalogue. I’m not sure I would have pushed on quite the way I have without his unbridled friendship and support.

What is the one thing you wish you had known when you started taking pictures? Well now. There always seems to be something we can learn, so I’m not sure I could pick one thing. These are tricky questions, Tim! I wish I’d have recognized much earlier on that you don’t need as much kit as you believe. I’ve recently started to really trim the kit I have. At one stage I think I had something like eight or nine digital cameras. I’m now down to two, or three, if you count the X100F I have just ordered.

I appreciate the time and thought Neale put into answering these questions.  Photography is more than taking pictures.  It is about learning various styles, experimenting and finding inspiration from other’s work that you admire.  In this case, I am lucky to have been able to reach out to Neale and even luckier he responded.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim